Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Android app - CallMe Ireland

Options
  • 26-06-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

The app simplifies the process of sending a free “Call Me” SMS on Irish mobile networks. For instance, if a person has no credit but wishes to contact someone, they may send the contact’s number for free to a service number e.g. Send 085111119 to 50001 if your on Meteor.

It's free to download so why not give it a go? Any feedback is much appreciated ...

For mobile browsers use the following link: https://market.android.com/details?id=byrne.messaging.callme

androidmarket.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I never use the call me thing myself but for people who do, then this is a very handy app. Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

The thing with this app Bob is MOST people with an android would/should be on bill pay...

Good app and great idea if you weren't but

Best of luck pal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Kev. wrote: »
    The thing with this app Bob is MOST people with an android would/should be on bill pay...

Best of luck pal

Really? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Nice app, will give it a download as I am *sniff* on prepay...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Ive never responded to a call me text. If someone is so cheap as to not buy credit for their phone, but expect you to pay for their calls...

The fact that someone would do this so often in order that they need an app for it, really tells allot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Ive never responded to a call me text. If someone is so cheap as to not buy credit for their phone, but expect you to pay for their calls...

The fact that someone would do this so often in order that they need an app for it, really tells allot...

Yeah Kids. Cheap b******s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Best of luck pal

Not true, of the 10 or so people I know who have an Android phone 7 are on pre pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

A prepay Android phone costs 80 Euro on O2 with the Xperia X8 so why would you go on a bill pay contract if you aren't a high data user?

Wireless networks are everywhere these days too and data on PAYG isn't as bad as it once was for the odd look up when in store or whatever.

I'm on PAYG Android with X8 and not had any problems. I was thinking of getting a billpay to get a sexier phone but every time I do, it just doesn't make any financial sense to do so. My current phone does everything I need to and can run most of the games but struggles with some which is its only real downside besides a waiting an extra second from time to time for apps to load on a low hardware device.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bobbyrne01

Best of luck pal

Most people i know on android are prepay, having to sign contracts for bill pay turns me off. Also, even if you are on bill pay you could still use the app to try save money.

Thanks for the download Jim, a review on the market would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Prepay on Android seems pretty ok to me. I'm on 3, it's €5 for 500mb of data. I get €10 free credit when I top up by €20. So essentially I get 1gb of free data when I top up.

I've been using my android for about 4 weeks, downloaded apps, stuff going on in the background, using it to browse etc and I haven't nearly used 500mb yet. *shrug*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

super-rush wrote: »
    Really? Why?

Being pedantic me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Thats a nice way of putting it i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

bobbyrne - Could you add the option to type in the number as well as select from contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Cool idea. Most people I know are prepaid android.
    and with the new vodafone "smart" and fatcheese you can have an android for under 20 quid.

beefjerky wrote: »
    bobbyrne - Could you add the option to type in the number as well as select from contacts?

The reason we hid that input box was to simplify the user interface as much as possible but its not a bad idea to show it .. Might add the option in the next version. Thanks for the feedback so far :)

beefjerky wrote: »

We've released an update for the application which now features your request, enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Doesn't work for me, I'm on 02 with a HTC wildfire s

When I try to use it, it trys to ring, rather than text the number & tells me the number isn't in service.

Is it me or the app or what?

whitesands wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me, I'm on 02 with a HTC wildfire s

When I try to use it, it trys to ring, rather than text the number & tells me the number isn't in service.

Is it me or the app or what?

Well o2's service works a little different, it sends the "call me" by making a call similiar to checking your balance e.g. *100# on o2.

Can you give us an example of the numbers your trying to use in the app? i.e. fake contact number and the service number and we'll run tests on it, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Bluefoam wrote: »

agreed,one bloke i know is forever sending me "call me" messages until i had enough and blocked his number, tight bas*ard go and buy some credit:eek:

bobbyrne01 wrote: »
    Well o2's service works a little different, it sends the "call me" by making a call similiar to checking your balance e.g. *100# on o2.

Can you give us an example of the numbers your trying to use in the app? i.e. fake contact number and the service number and we'll run tests on it, thanks
    I just choose 02 & enter another 086xxxxxxx number & hit send. I've figured out the problem, it's not putting the # after the number & won't let me enter it manually.

• Advertisement

I just choose 02 & enter another 086xxxxxxx number & hit send. I've figured out the problem, it's not putting the # after the number & won't let me enter it manually.

We've uploaded an update for the application whitesands, would you mind updating to version 1.3 and trying it out? if you could post back here or by email and let us know if that fixes the bug for you that'd be great.

bobbyrne01 wrote: »
    We've uploaded an update for the application whitesands, would you mind updating to version 1.3 and trying it out? if you could post back here or by email and let us know if that fixes the bug for you that'd be great.
    No bother, updated to 1.3 & working fine now ;)

No bother, updated to 1.3 & working fine now ;)

Thats great to hear, thanks for the help whitesands .. a review in the market would be great if you've got the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Best of luck pal

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Gonna give the app a try.

I'm on PAYG because I've done the maths and it's far cheaper for me to buy the phone (SGS) separately and pay €20/month or less on credit. I get free texts for €20/m for a month and when that runs out and my credit doesnt (get an extra €10 for every 20 I buy, lasts ages) I can use web texts.

For €5 I get 500mb for 30 days, which I have yet to use all of because I spend a lot of time in wifi areas.

tl;dr over the estimated life span of the phone I save a huge amount of money over even the cheapest bill. (on three)

Thanks for the download squeeonline, but if your on three's network i dont think they have a "call me" service therefore the app wont be much use to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Quality stuff, downloaded there and tried it out (Im vodafone) works great! On my old phone I used to have to put separate phone-book entries to be able to send people call mes easily!

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Quality stuff, downloaded there and tried it out (Im vodafone) works great! On my old phone I used to have to put separate phone-book entries to be able to send people call mes easily!

That's great to hear dude, makes all the effort worth it .. we'd appreciate a review in the market if you could, cheers

Advertisement