Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What happens to a disused car?

Options
  • 26-06-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Just inherited a 99 Nissan Micra (automatic) from my granny. It has 5000 miles on the clock and i'm pretty sure she only ever used it about twice a week, at most, to go to the shops!

What checks should I do on it? What kind of problems are there with a car that is used so seldom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

transmission fluid will need changing at this stage. exhaust systems rot from the inside out, but may have been replaced a few times at this stage.

Presuming it's been tested a few times, any massive issues would have been covered at this stage.

Those Micra Autos can be surprisingly hard on petrol so don't be too alarmed if it seems fond of the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ElRoberto

Thanks for the advice, Colm. I've been told I should check the pipes and tubes too for any leaks or wear after so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

as you would on any 12 year old car regardless :)

If it lasted this long.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

ElRoberto wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just inherited a 99 Nissan Micra (automatic) from my granny. It has 5000 miles on the clock and i'm pretty sure she only ever used it about twice a week, at most, to go to the shops!

What checks should I do on it? What kind of problems are there with a car that is used so seldom?

Was it stored indoors? might be a future classic with such low mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

you will need to check over tyres, brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, rubber bushings could well have become perished also, but there's no set rule as to what will go bad from sittign for long periods. Though you say it was used twice a week so at least it hasnt been sitting somewhere unmoved for 20 years. New oil and filters are always a good idea, and fresh fuel if it's been sitting a while.

Start it up and let it run for a while, see how that gos, then take it for a short careful drive (no on a busy road if possible). See if anything comes up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement