Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chemical Brothers

Options
  • 26-06-2011 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

What an amazing set they played @ Glastonbury i watched some of it on TV and it was absolutely top notch the best performance i seen at this years festival, some people have slated them and perhaps they have played some bad shows over the years although anytime ive seen them live they have been great, but on their day they really are one of the best live dance music acts around.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

jonnny68 wrote: »
    What an amazing set they played @ Glastonbury i watched some of it on TV and it was absolutely top notch the best performance i seen at this years festival, some people have slated them and perhaps they have played some bad shows over the years although anytime ive seen them live they have been great, but on their day they really are one of the best live dance music acts around.

Have to agree-savage set and some light show as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Looked the biz alright. Chemical Beats was fckin deadly. Good to see them still lashin that out. One of their best tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I hate to wreck the buzz, but havent they been doing exactly that for years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Yeah, from what I saw, it looked almost the exact same as Oxegen 08 and the last Glastonbury.

Would have loved to have been there though! Seeing them at Oxegen 08 got me into electronic music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

yes but they were especially good from what i seen last night, some people are saying it was the best they've ever seen them, id love to see their whole show as i only seen about 15/20 minutes but it looked deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The bit I saw I thought was pretty staid. The chick on before them had so much more energy which says a lot if you're a dance act.

One of my favourite sets of all time was them from 1997 at Glastonbury, unbelieveable. But all the tracks were really raw and cutting into each other, really felt 'live'. And they finished with chemical beats that night.

Poor quality but...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

yeah oxegen 08 was the biz, and witness a few years before that, and marley park when sonic youth supported and...

but they seem a bit tamer these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

They were class, can't wait to see them at the Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah they blew me away at Oxegen 08 and I've been dying to see them again ever since, can't wait for EP now. That Glasto clip is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I was there on Saturday. Great finish to a great day. The only down side was the huge crowds at the Other stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I never seen CB live but did catch a DJ set they did at (I think) the first Creamfields here and they were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

SteoL wrote: »
    I never seen CB live but did catch a DJ set they did at (I think) the first Creamfields here and they were fantastic.

It was the first Creamfields but I remember them being shocking, lots of people left half way through their set to go elsewhere. I remember big build up after big build up and then nothing. It got boring after a while.

The best I've ever heard them play was a DJ set in the old Red Box probably back in '98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tombtumb

Chemical brothers are a load of cack, no one would be dancing if they wern't up to their eyes in goofballs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've seen them twice in the Point, and according to this this site they only played there twice?
    Surprised at that, thought they played there more than that. But I'm even more surprised that 1997 was the first time they played there, I had it in my head that it was later than that. The other time was 2004 for the Push the Button.

The 1997 gig was amazing, but I remember the later one not being that great but there could've been other factors at play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

They definitely played one around 1999 because I was at with the missus: whether that's the 1997 they are referring to there or not. Thought it was a bit sh¡te tbh. Too much fluting around but could have just been my state of mind. Having seen Orbital absolutely slay it in the Olympia a couple of months before I was a bit unimpressed with the CBs set.

They definitely played one around 1999 because I was at with the missus
    Same here, so the 1997 doesn't add up.

...but could have just been my state of mind.
    There's a lot to be said for "state of mind" at these types of gigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

listening to thousands of people go

"super star dj hereeeeee we go"

was enough to get me to turn off.

it's a far far cry from underworld cowgirl/rez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭francois

BaZmO* wrote: »

There's a to be said for "state of mind" at these types of gigs!

They played even earlier-I supported them at the UCD freshers ball in 1994, though they were the Dust Brothers then

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    They played even earlier-I supported them at the UCD freshers ball in 1994, though they were the Dust Brothers then
    And I'm sure they were grateful of the support. It's nice to get people behind you when just starting out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

i think il be giving them a miss at electric picnic.I watched them at glastonbury and its just the same crap they were doing years ago they don't even look like give a sh*t anymore.Just gonna hit arcadia at ep instead way better craic.

BaZmO* wrote: »

Didn't the CB's support Leftfield in the Point around June 96?

ntlbell wrote: »
    listening to thousands of people go

"super star dj hereeeeee we go"

was enough to get me to turn off.

it's a far far cry from underworld cowgirl/rez

Not so far from people shouting Larger, Larger, Larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

Love the Chemical Brothers!!
    Wish i was there

allydylan wrote: »
    Love the Chemical Brothers!!
    Wish i was there

I was. It was great, if a little crowded and too short.

Lumbo wrote: »
    I was. It was great, if a little crowded and too short.

You're soooo lucky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

i think il be giving them a miss at electric picnic.I watched them at glastonbury and its just the same crap they were doing years ago they don't even look like give a sh*t anymore.Just gonna hit arcadia at ep instead way better craic.

I thought the Arcadia was **** every year. I mean, it's a class set up, no doubt about that, but the acts who played it were ****e. I remember Johnny Moy playing one night, and Arveene some other night. About time they do it right and have a proper DJ in there playing until all hours and not shutting at 1.30 or 2am. Balls

any opinions on there last album?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I thought the Arcadia was **** every year. I mean, it's a class set up, no doubt about that, but the acts who played it were ****e. I remember Johnny Moy playing one night, and Arveene some other night. About time they do it right and have a proper DJ in there playing until all hours and not shutting at 1.30 or 2am. Balls

totally agree with you. I was blown away by Arcadia 2 years ago at my first EP but last year left me wanting. The setting is amazing, if the weather is good it should be a hopping place but I dunno, last year was just weak @ Arcadia, OK the Sunday was a washout but all nights were just a bit below par so I headed off to the rave in the forest Psy style.

I'm not going this year but seriously gutted cos I'm missing the Chemicals, never seen them live.

Advertisement