Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you do this type of effect? *picture*

Options
  • 26-06-2011 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I was looking through an album on facebook and saw one of these photos. How would do that with all the light and have everyone in the picture not blurred? i tried doing it with av mode for 2 seconds for the shutter to be open but the whole picture is blurry. anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

it's called slow sync flash

you had the right idea, it's a slow shutter speed to get the light trails, but then you fire your flash to freeze parts of the picture. It takes lots of practice to get god effects and consistent good exposures.

i had a google and found this helpful tutorial:
    http://www.rikkihibbert.co.za/2010/08/16/how-to-use-your-flash-slow-sync-flash-tutorial/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

In your camera you may be able to set the flash to second (or rear) curtain sync also. That way light trails trail naturally from moving objects. Typically the flash fires at the start of the exposure so the light trail will move forward and not backwards.

Of course you lose a lot of flash power with second curtain sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unfortunately all the club photographers are doing this recently, gets very tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dylanlolwut

Unfortunately all the club photographers are doing this recently, gets very tiring.

well i can see why they would take advantage to this, with all the lights and what not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Rear curtain sync (or Second curtain sync in most Canon DSLRs) should do it with a long exposure. The long exposure first captures all the moving light sources (glowsticks, cell phones, lights etc.) and then the flash at the end of the exposure captures all the people.

It can look a bit tiring with club photography but you can get very creative once you start painting with light and stuff...

• Advertisement
Advertisement