Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Irish Map - Placename?

Options
  • 25-06-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Greetings ~

I am trying to decipher the name of a place named Callaigh 'something' situated in Mayo on an old map of Ireland. I have included a picture with a circle around the location for anyone who knows what it says as I can't find a corresponding placename on more modern maps.

Many thanks :)

Apologies if this is in the incorrect forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

is it carrownaglogh bon chance?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Thanks for the reply.

It looks a bit too far inland. I thought maybe Callaigh was a derivative of Calleach meaning 'witch' or 'crone'. Inishcrone is nearby which may be related to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It looks like Callaigh Crom to me - the Crooked Hag. I'd say your best bet is either the old 6-inch maps or the older Admiralty charts, since I suspect what you're looking at there is a coastal feature - "Hag" is a fairly common name for rock features of Irish and Scottish coastlines.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I had a quick look through the 6-inch maps on the OSI Mapviewer for that area and no sign of anything Callaigh* related.

Nothing similar to it in the Townland/Locality/Historic Parish search options either.

Not much help to you I know but the OSI link is there in case I've missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Yi Harr wrote: »
    I had a quick look through the 6-inch maps on the OSI Mapviewer for that area and no sign of anything Callaigh* related.

Nothing similar to it in the Townland/Locality/Historic Parish search options either.

Not much help to you I know but the OSI link is there in case I've missed it.

There is a "Hag Island" in roughly the right place: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,482555,845383,6,7

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Yes I think you are correct Scofflaw. It most certainly appears to be Callaigh Crom and seems to make a bit more sense given the area I am researching namely Irish mythology and triple goddesses in particular.

Might be time to hit 'The Metrical Dindshenchas' and brush up on my placelore.

Go raibh maith agaibh.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

It's a lot clearer here. Callaigh Crum and does seem to be located at the Hag's Island previously mentioned. The map you are looking at is an 1808 map and the Historic OSi maps are from 1835 onwards. Just show how placenames were lost either in Translation or omitted altogether by the then British Survey.
    http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Boswell-Antiquities/pages/Unedited-Connaught-Map/Unedited-Connaught-Map-2850x4301.jpg HighRes version.

Lowres version below

Unedited-Connaught-Map-795x1200.jpg

Advertisement