Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching Downloaded movie

Options
  • 25-06-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I watch movies on my laptops (dell inspiron and latitude) and have never had a problem watching them until I downloaded a blu ray quality version of a movie that is over 8Gbs.

I have watched blu ray programmes on my laptop before (but they were only 1GB or so) with no probs.

This movie seems to stall and jump a bit. As far as I know there is no problem with the programme (as others who downloaded it have had no problems).

Has anybody a suggestion on how I can get it working properly or enlighten me why I am having trouble playing it (from an external hard drive).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

try copy it to your main drive and see if it'll play. Maybe your external drive is slow in rpm terms? Make sure all other apps/software is closed incl. browsers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

Drumpot wrote: »
    I downloaded a blu ray quality version of a movie

Down with that sort of thing, careful now!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Contact the distributor in Ireland, giving your full name and address. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Your PC is probably not good enough for 1080p HD.

Whats your CPU model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,981 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have watched blu ray programmes on my laptop before (but they were only 1GB or so) with no probs.
    Eh, yeah, that wasn't 1080p, or blu-ray quality Hz/Framerate for that matter. Not to tell you how to pirate your ****, but at 700MB to 1GB your movies are definitely not considered Hi Definition. I don't care what the name of the torrent told you. It might have been ripped from a BluRay, but it was not encoded at nearly the same level of quality. The 8GB file, that's the one thats actually High Definition. Clearly your system can't handle it. What are the specs? Or rather:
    from an external hard drive
    Why are you being silly? A USB connection is Not going to be able to channel the Bitrate of that movie file. Transfer it to your main PC hard drive before playback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

You can download this and it'll tell you if your machine is able for full HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Playing it over USB is not your problem.

8GB for a typical 2hr movie means about 9000kbps average bitrate. That's a touch over 1MB/s. A HDD-based USB external drive typically has a sustained transfer of 20-30MB/s.

Please list your full specs incl CPU, GPU, ram. While playing the movie, CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the resource monitor, post the average CPU load while playing.

Also list what video player you are using.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Are your laptop screens even 1080p?

Piracy fail tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Playing it over USB is not your problem.

8GB for a typical 2hr movie means about 9000kbps average bitrate. That's a touch over 1MB/s. A HDD-based USB external drive typically has a sustained transfer of 20-30MB/s.

Please list your full specs incl CPU, GPU, ram. While playing the movie, CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the resource monitor, post the average CPU load while playing.

Also list what video player you are using.

Yes but most hard drives cant sustain their max constant rate over a long period of time especially depending on where the data is located on a drive (inner/outer tracks) not to mention the drives buffer size.

Well it's simple really, just open the task manager/activity monitor and see if it's chocking the CPU or the HDD. You could use a player with GPU acceleration.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-movies-over-the-gpu-guide/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes but most hard drives cant sustain their max constant rate over a long period of time especially depending on where the data is located on a drive (inner/outer tracks) not to mention the drives buffer size.

USB 2.0 external HDDs are limited to 20-30MB/s by the USB interface, not by the drive. Thus they can sustain 20-30MB/s all day long on any section of the drive with any buffer size.

The only drives that would have a problem with HD content would be a cheap USB thumbdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for the tips and advice.

My spec is:

Latitude: D630
    Processor: Intel Core - 2 GH
    Space total 74.5 GB - 14 GB remaining.

Any other info needed ?

What program are you using to play the file?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

basically i think that the laptop cannot handle the file...i know playing a bluray rip <1080p from my mums laptop via hdmi jumpes like hell and audio video sync is off an on and that has better specs than mentioned above.

Well it depends. You can leverage the parallel processing power of your GPU to handle a lot of the work. See the link I posted above.

Advertisement