Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Run

Options
  • 25-06-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi. Heading up to Dublin next Saturday and will be arriving around 1pm. Will be around the city for a few hours and then dropping wife to O2 for Glee !!. What I'd like to know is could I park in Phoenix Park and leave the car there as I'd like to go back there at half six once they head for O2 and I'd like to do my long run in the park. So leaving around 8.30 - 9.00pm. Is that possible or do you need to move it after certain time. What's the park like for a run of 16 miles ? Any help would be appreciated as I would really love to do my long run while up there.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Not sure what is on in the park next weekend but you should be fine leaving the car there for the day once you use common sense in choosing a spot to park.

It's about 10k around the perimeter of the park so two laps of that plus a few scenic detours should see you sorted for your longer run.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

id park in chapelizard area just to be on the safe side,and you can pop into the villager for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Metar

You'll be grand leaving it in the park. Parking is free and no time restriction. You wont be able to park on the first stretch of road from the city end to the first roundabout, but anywhere up near the zoo will be fine. I'd say once you move the car before it gets dark you'll have no problems. Just don't leave anything worth robbing visible in car.

The Park is also very handy for catching the Luas down to the O2, if that suits. LUAS line is a couple of hundred metres outside the main gate of the park in Parkgate street.

As regards doing your run there, you'll have no problem getting in a long run. Check out the dublin marathon website and look to see if they still have the maps from the race series last year. That would give you a course for 5, 10 and 1/2 mar - all in the park. If maps are not there a guide could be that it is about 2.5 miles from the gate at one end of the main road to the gate at the other end.

Thanks for the quick replies folks. Phoenix Park it is. looking forward to the run up there. It'll beat the roads anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Don't use the Papal Cross car park - they lock that around 8 pm - got caught by that once!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Metar wrote: »
    but anywhere up near the zoo will be fine. I'd say once you move the car before it gets dark you'll have no problems.

The Lord's Walk also has a new gate now so don't leave the car up the side of the Zoo just in case it's locked early.

Leave it on the main Rd to be sure I'd say.

Thanks for the info on the Lord's walk gate. Someone had mentioned to me that I may be able to park there. I'll search for something on the main road Chesterfield Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

As close to the zoo on the main road will see ye safe. Consider leaving the park on the run maybe to take in the war memorial park just to south of the Phoenix park and just the far side of the Liffey. Also I would consider running down the North Quays to the Point (o2) and back up the south quays back to the park. Good few road crossings to slow you down there thou. Just mentioning it as it will break the scenery of the park if that bothers you.

tbh i'm so used to running on roads with traffic, I'm actually looking forward to the idea of running around the park itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Macwotever - Why would you want to leave the park? I love it for running, I'm spoiled, I live right beside it - the only time I don't run there is winter when it's dark & I'm on my own, otherwise you wouldn't get me out of it.

As for a route, if you like trials / off road, stick to the outer periphery walls. I love these routes. From the zoo head for the north road - the one with the Garda Headquarters and just stick to the wall from there. From the Ashtown gate it gets really nice - well off the road and only other runners and walkers.

For road routes - as mentioned the Dublin Marathon site is a good place to start. You can add or shorten as required.

If you're not fimiliar with the layout of the park - I think the guy renting bikes just inside the gate on the town side has maps so you could plan your run...

Parking - as you said - anywhere on the main rd, you'll be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

onimpulse wrote: »
    Macwotever - Why would you want to leave the park? I love it for running

I knew someone would question that! I like running in the park, but for long runs I can find myself getting bored, so hitting the streets is a welcome distraction. Always something to look at out on the streets, always something/someone to dodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Does anyone have a link to the ten mile race route through the park from last year?
    (or any other ten mile race route in the park)
    I've had a look, but couldn't find one.

Does anyone have a link to the ten mile race route through the park from last year?
    (or any other ten mile race route in the park)
    I've had a look, but couldn't find one.

I just found this for the Frank Duffy

http://www.mapmywalk.com/s/routes/view/run-jog-map/ireland/dublin/762805

Advertisement