Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sony vaio wont play dvd

Options
  • 25-06-2011 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

i have a sony vaio, its about 4 years old, and it has just stop playing dvds, when i used to put in a dvd, a list of things came up and i used to click on play dvd, but that doesnt come up now, can any body help me please, i have tried to down load stuff, but a headless chicken when it comes to somethings like this, being tryin stuff for last 2 hours, no joy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

When you go into My Computer do you see your dvd drive listed there?
    Also, when you right-click on my computer, choose hardware tab, select device manager, what do you see in the list under cd/dvd drives - is your drive listed and is there an error symbol beside it?
    Post back

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fran_and99

dvd-rw drive ( f ) comes up in my computer, and when i right click, this is what in device manage and when i click on cd/dvd rom drives QSI dvd+sdw-085,
    and under neath that is the thing for my usb vodafone cd rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try getting a dvd lens cleaning kit, in a 2euro shop.could be a bit of dirt on the lens,clean it, leave drawer open for ten minutes to dry out the lens.use a tiny amount of cleaning fluid on the cd brushes.does it play music cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Ok
    Drivers seem to be ok and device is recognised. Next step is to try a few different cd/dvds in the drive and dbl-click on the drive in My Computer to see if it shows the contents and if you can launch songs/pictures that way manually.
    If not then it very much looks like drive is kabuggered.
    Slight chance that a cleaning disk my resolve the issue, slight though.
    If you can do so manually it may just be the autorun feature is disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fran_and99

just to let you know, put in a dvd and wouldnt play said i said have a code and looked it up and said i would have to pay, but i downloaded some site vlc and seems to be workin well, dont know if its totally free or 30 days thing
    thanks anyway for all your help lads
    frank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

VLC is completely free and brilliant :)

Advertisement