Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop recovery - Question for comp techies

Options
  • 25-06-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    Have a laptop that I need to recover and looking for advice.
    Basically the hdd crashed and unit was sent for warranty repair and returned with new hdd. Problem is that the os serial no was faded so much as to make it unreadable so the repair group did not install any os. In addition, the owner had not made the recovery disks when they should have.
    My question is this - if I buy a new set of genuine recovery disks will I need a licence key in order to complete the recovery?
    I have emailed the supplier but they have not bothered to reply, surprise surprise.
    Not much point in me buying them if I will need a key as I would be better off just purchasing a new os disk with new key.
    Obviously the manufacturer recovery disks would be preferable as it would do the drivers and additional software as well.
    Laptop is a compaq/hp with vista.
    Thanks for any feedback.

P.s. Am I the only one that thinks it is poor service to return a warranty repair without os, even for the reason of a faded licence key?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

An OEM instal will invariably instal and activate ok - you shouldnt need to buy a new license .

That 'warranty repair' should have replaced the OS and installed all drivers etc - theyre hardly returning it to you fit for use , which is surely the purpose of a warranty ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Shouldn't need the key if installing from recovery disks.

And aye, I agree, it's certainly poor service to send it back with no OS installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

roast wrote: »
    Shouldn't need the key if installing from recovery disks.

And aye, I agree, it's certainly poor service to send it back with no OS installed.

New HDD - new install!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

OEMs are fairy cheap if you cant get your hands on the OS serial original

Advertisement