Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Photography Forum 24hr magazine.

Options
  • 25-06-2011 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Last year, over on the Photography forum, we undertook a 24hr magazine project. To paraphrase An Cat Dubh's description, there was nothing, and then 24 hours later there was an online magazine.

We are looking at running the project again this year (thread here), and we were wondering if there would be any interest in collaboration from the members of the Creative Writing forum.

I'd envisage it working something like this:

I love pictures that tell stories, and even more those that make you wonder what's happening outside the narrow frame that the photographer chooses to present. In making photographs, there is often an element of what you choose 'not' to include in the picture.

I don't know much about timeframes in the creative writing process, but is it feasible to pair up a writer and a photographer?

The photographer commits to taking a photo with narrative potential in the first hour of the 24 and mailing it to the writer. The writer then uses this as the basis for a piece of writing for the magazine. The photo and text are then published together. I am thinking of maybe a photo like this:

F23C76866EB14E338930E84178812215-500.jpg

or this

C5435A5B3384494BAE12E797FE7E7E24-0000317779-0002258443-00500L-B120B4EA195243779C310AA6FE883E99.jpg

Too short a timeline for a writer? Too much of the burden of work on the writer? Or a worthy challenge?

Any takers? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no timeline too short for the folks on here. We managed 16 stories in one hour start to finish one day :)

Do you know yet roughly how many photos will be in the magazine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Do you know yet roughly how many photos will be in the magazine?

Nope!

But not every photo would need a story. Most of the submissions would be standalone photos or purely photographic projects.

The kind of thing I was thinking of was a 'one photographer, one writer' collaboration. But another idea might be to nominate a photographer to post an image here early in the course of the 24 hours and let anyone who wants have a go at writing a short story :)

That could be a very interesting project...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Are we talking a creative writing project or a journalistic piece?

Creative writing is what I had in mind. There are no fixed boundaries, though.

If somebody has a project that they think fits well in the brief of a 24hr project and has a strong photographic component, it could definitely be accomodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'd love to be involved in this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd be interested in joining in. No time to procrastinate if you have a short deadline!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I too would be interested in joining in, seems like it could be fun. Plus deadlines don't really both me that much, 24 hours is loads of time.

Also what would the word limit be? and would there be a minimum word count?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

IN regards to rules... there aren't any :o

Let's say now, I would partner up with CD., I email him my image of a lonley cow in a field of daisy's. A few hours later, that image needs text.

Could be one, poetic sentence, a shortstory, a limerick poem, anything! No rules, no wordcount, hell, as far as I'm concerned anyway!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd love to be involved in something like this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm interested. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Also interested, it sounds like a lovely idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I'm interested. Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Count me in:)

Excellent, I hoped there might be some interest, but there was the niggling worry that the idea might be met by a tumbleweed rolling gently out of sight.

So what do you reckon, pair a photographer and a writer, or post a few pictures by different photographers on a thread here on the day and let anyone who wants to contribute a piece associated with one of the images?

Or both?

There's also the option of a collaborative piece on a non-fiction/journalistic topic. This would probably require a bit more co-operation between photographer and writer beforehand. I suppose in keeping with the (loose) aims and guidelines of the project, the writing, interviews, photos etc. should be done on the day. But I presume that research done beforehand would still be within the broad spirit of the project, after all, most of the photo projects will involve a certain amount of scouting out locations and so on before the day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I'd say pair a photographer and a writer, that way you won't get confusion over images being used or two people accidently writing something on the same image.
    Plus it makes the whole thing a bit cleaner. The only problems would be photographers/writers dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Its great to see a level of interest in this project. A big thank you!

A series of updates (and lots of em) on the original thread - check last 3 posts.

Had a lot of catching up to do so i've concentrated on that thread for tonight. I'll pop back here hopefully tomorrow and update anything extra. In the meantime have a look at the original thread and feel free to comment.

Cheers folks.

I'd be down for this too, whether it's creative or you need to bust some current affairs action into the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Sounds very interesting - I'm new to the creative writing forum, but I think it is something I would like to get involved in. I will follow this thread so.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Oooh me too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Ooh yes please! Love this sort of thing, nice kick up the ar*e to make me write as well. In please!

• Advertisement

So, June is as good as over, the interest is there on both sides. Who's going to make the first step and decide who exactly is going to do what?

We need one or two people to drive this and be able to answer questions. I'm still fairly unclear myself on how it's all supposed to work.

So, June is as good as over, the interest is there on both sides. Who's going to make the first step and decide who exactly is going to do what?

We need one or two people to drive this and be able to answer questions. I'm still fairly unclear myself on how it's all supposed to work.

Take it the photo forum are taking a lead in this end of things? I'm staying the hell out of dodge, I do photography as part of my job and have produced a few magazines in my time, so I know if stuff isn't going right I'd either turn into all four horsemen or I'd just end up doing everything myself, so I'm volunteering for nada more than putting my words next to a pretty photo :D

Quick update here before the thread heads off the first page of the forum -

In terms of organisation, there is little that can be done in advance. The point to the project is to have nothing at beginning of the 24 hour period and a published (online) magazine be the end of the 24 hours.

All that really can/should be done beforehand is drum up an interest with people - this time including the creative writing forum, and set out the broad parameters by which people may be willing to participate. Speaking of which:

For consideration

Last Years T&C -

Is there a need to update (other than where it just states photographer)? In the context of including some writers here there may well be a need - this was photographer focused from last year so i'm open to suggestions and updates. You guys understand what is needed better than I do in the context of writing.

Project Name: This is the 24 Hour Magazine project

Project Description: A collaboration of photographers being organised through the borards.ie photography forum in order to produce an entire magazine of photography in the space of 24 hours (due to technical considerations the actual 24 hours differs for film and digital shooters - see below).

When? Saturday, 24th of July - 24/7
    The 24hours for digital shooters will be on 24th of July
    The 24hours for film shooters will begin on the 23rd of July

For practical reasons, the 24 hours start at 7am 4am on the relevant day (for film or digital) and continue for 24 hours through to a possible* 7am 4am the following day. [Note: This updated to allow for sunrise shooters]

* people are not really expected to be shooting through the night but this timing will allow a little lee-way for the volunteer designers at the late stage of the evening to go the "last mile" if needed without being tied to 12 mid-night.

Who is it for? It's for everyone!
    The boards photography forum is welcoming of everyone, all styles, all levels from beginner to professional to expert. The common criteria that joins us all together and the reason we come back to the forum is that we enjoy photography, and enjoy each others company whether lurking or partaking in discussion. Hence, everyone is welcome to partake in this project.

Do I need a fancy smancy camera? Nope, your work will stand on its own and not compared with others so whether you are shooting with a pinhole matchbox, a Holga, a digital point and shoot, a SLR, medium format, or the latest in dSLR technology, then your efforts will be equally welcome.

Because it is your work which will be showcased, it is anticipated that you will stretch yourself in your efforts on the day in whatever it is that you decide to shoot.

When can I submit images? Anytime after the start of the 24 hours but before 9pm on the 24th July (please check back here before the start of the project as this may need to be altered depending on the designers).

Where do i submit images? A dedicated email has been set up to receive submissions which will keep all submissions in the one place for the designers to work on. The email address is 24hourmagazine at gmail dot com (obviously replace the at with @ and dot with . and remove spaces).

What format do the images need to be in? Full size jpeg images - processed as you want them to be.

Every effort will be made to include images as submitted with no modification. I'm guessing that the designers may in some instances need to apply a crop to 'make things fit' on the page and you will need to trust the project to do this in a tasteful manner. Every attempt will be made to retain the spirit of the submitted image. Any editorial decision in this regard will be final as time will not allow for prior opinion or permission to be sought.

How many images / photographs can I submit? There is no limit. You may submit a single image, or a series of images to convey your shooting efforts of the day. By submitting an image you are guaranteed to have at least one of your images published. Thereafter, it becomes an editorial decision as to what can reasonably be published. Obviously, if a sequence of images need to convey a documentary shoot then every effort will be made to include the series. In terms of images that wouldn't be included would be down to practicalities of the day - for example if someone submits 100 images then it is likely that a selection of those images would be used. Ideally, the photographer submits their selection.

Copyright? I value my work The project values your work too and respects your legitimate rights to your image thus the copyright of the image which is submitted remains with the photographer.

In order for the submission/image(s) to be published, you need to licence the project in good faith and in the spirit of the project, in perpetuity and non revocable terms your consent to have your submission/image(s) used in the publication.

Will the publication be purely online or will there be a paper publication? At present the publication will be online through a service like issuu.com It has been asked if there is a possibility that people could get a printed copy. While this won't happen in the immediate term, by participating you are agreeing that it may happen at some stage if an appropriate printing mechanism were available. In such a case then your submission would be included in its published form. This would be undertaken only on a not for profit basis (most likely for participants to gain a paper copy of the publication with their work in it).

Can I submit a text article? Yes.

What details are needed with a submission? Be clear with the information which you submit.

It would be helpful for you to include:
    Your name:
    Your boards.ie username:
    A title for your image:
    A description of the image/photograph:

Optional other details:
    Your website/ your blog / your email / other contact information
    Where taken:
    When taken (time - we'll already know it was the 24th or 23rd)
    A text article to accompany your image

Is there any material of a type which can't be submitted? In general the publication will work under the normal boards.ie photography forum charter provisions and the general ethos and acceptable behaviour of the forum. Hence anything which is normally allowed on the boards.ie photography forum is acceptable.

Also needed, Suggestions as to how best hook up people - writers and photographers, (obviously those that want to be hooked up)?????? Otherwise, in my mind I can also envisage a scenario where the creative text and image are put together by the designer not necessarily having to relate to each other ie. a page with photographs and separately but on the same page - kinda unrelated, a story or article as submitted by an author.

Anyhow, thoughts on the above??????

It would be nice for the texts to tie into the images but if people are going to be shooting up to late in the evening and then posting their photos it's going to make it very tight for people to write and edit something on the theme. If photographers and writers were able to team up beforehand and each have some idea what the other is going to shoot/write it would be much easier I think.

Any update on this?

Haven't had too much time for updates here so i'll hopefully get a full post done later with everything you guys need to know (which isn't terribly much anyhow - it is *everything* done within 24 hours!). Stay tuned.

(no seriously it will all come together within 24 hours - just keep some time free)

So is it on Sunday (24th July) or Saturday (23rd July)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

So is it on Sunday (24th July) or Saturday (23rd July)?

*crosses fingers for 24th - 23rd is my gf's birthday*

Actually have quite a lot on this weekend, would be nice to know where we stand, as I want to prioritise this, but need to do other things too... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Waiting for time here too,will we get an email with the picture or what?

Advertisement