Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padded shorts question.

Options
  • 25-06-2011 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

So a friend of my family member suggested I should get padded shorts ( he's into cycling ) I've just done a bit of googling and all the reasons why you should get them, saddle sore and rash haven't affected me at all. I only cycle between 8km and 30km a day, usually it's 8km but rarely it's 30km. Average about 70km a week.

Any posts I've read on other forums are people doing 18-20miles a day and wanting to do more.

I cycle an MTB and do a mix of off road and on road on my daily cycle, as I've said roughly 10km average a day at an average of 18km/h to 20km/h do I need cycling shorts? Anyone recommend a cheap pair If I do? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Yes, get them.
    You'll be more comfortable, which will help you enjoy your cycling more, and will end up doing further mileage!
    You can get baggy style shorts for MTB, if you are not into the clingy lycra look.
    Prices? From anything to anything! I have a couple of pairs of the Aldi MTB shorts, which were great value at €15!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

They do add to comfort but you are not cycling such long distances that you absolutely need them, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thanks gman2k.

You mention specific MTB shorts, which my current shorts look like( cheap umbro things!) could I just get a pair of these or these and wear them underneath my current shorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Thanks gman2k.

You mention specific MTB shorts, which my current shorts look like( cheap umbro things!) could I just get a pair of these or these and wear them underneath my current shorts?

No, I wouldn't bother with them yokes!
    You need padding where it's needed! on the undercarriage!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Padding issues aside, bib shorts are more comfortable than half shorts because there is no seam to interfere with your jersey.

I used to commute in various combinations of non-cycling clothing but eventually gave up and wore lycra every day. It's only 30km round trip but aside from being more comfortable (particularly in the rain) it cuts down laundry effort as they take up less space and dry more quickly.

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't bother with them yokes!
    You need padding where it's needed! on the undercarriage!

Could you give me a link to a pair that would be recommended( and possibly cheap :pac: ) cheers!

Lumen wrote: »
    Padding issues aside, bib shorts are more comfortable than half shorts because there is no seam to interfere with your jersey.

I used to commute in various combinations of non-cycling clothing but eventually gave up and wore lycra every day. It's only 30km round trip but aside from being more comfortable (particularly in the rain) it cuts down laundry effort as they take up less space and dry more quickly.

See, this is what I'm not. I don't wear jerseys, I'm only looking into shorts due to potential damage/discomfort to my manhood ( :pac: ), Usually I'd wear a hoodie( if it's wet ) or just a T-shirt. I'm sure my opinion will change over time, But at the moment I'm happy with a t-shirt over a jersey.

So I'm happy just to get shorts, that I can put on/take off quickly before and after cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

It only hurts after about 50k so I wouldn't bother if I were you. No man should get into those things unless he really needs to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Padded shorts are just a different league in terms of comfort. Once you've tried them, you'll never want to go back to ordinary shorts/jeans/etc. I'll leave it up to yourself to decide whether that's a good or bad thing!

Advertisement