Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Over the last week, I've been playing that on the SNES I'm supposed to be cleaning up to sell. It's still awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Be gdlk if they made a HD remake, forget about KI GOLD...wtf was that. Probably won't ever happen tho

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

haha that just made me super ultra nostalgic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

played this about a month ago. loved it when it came out, but it hasnt aged well at all. actually, its ****e. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Rare, like SEGA (Virtua Fighter), look like they've missed the memo that fighters are big again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cinder is my favourite character......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

It's a great game but has no tourney appeal since the game is broken in terms of balance. The Arcade port was a joke and the SNES version which was meant to have better balance has just the same amount of problems

Played it to death though, absolutely love KI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

dan hibiki wrote: »
    played this about a month ago. loved it when it came out, but it hasnt aged well at all. actually, its ****e. :pac:

Funny. Myself and Sairus first dug this out of the attic about five years ago and came to the same conclusion. This time, I knew what to expect and I'm loving it.

Fulgore, Cinder and Orchid all theee way:D

Ramza wrote: »
    It's a great game but has no tourney appeal since the game is broken in terms of balance. The Arcade port was a joke and the SNES version which was meant to have better balance has just the same amount of problems

Yeah but all that made the game more interesting, what's the fun in a game if everything is all balanced. Playing an unbalanced game should help you get better with a character you decide to use...of course imo:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

WasterEx wrote: »
    Yeah but all that made the game more interesting, what's the fun in a game if everything is all balanced. Playing an unbalanced game should help you get better with a character you decide to use...of course imo:pac:

Not to the degree of KI, I remember JOConnell figuring out an infinite with cinder as a 14 year old in an arcade.

It's fun though alright. Love me some Fulgore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I blew so many 20p coins on a KI machine in my youth.

In the day I believed it blew SF and MK out of the water, but looking at it today, it's really not that great of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

gold on the 64 was the only one iv played, some game sabrewulf ftw

I'm talking proper broken..

Not to sound bigheaded but I'm probably the only guy here who played the game on a proper in depth/high level

Cinder is beyond broken. His air f . f + 2. b + 2, is almost unblockable, any person can do it, and it takes about 50% life and stuns. It's a retarded OP mixup. And in the SNES version he can go invisible. He can do it in the arcade version too but you can still see his flames

Every character in the game had unbreakable combos, all of which started with a hard hitter (2, 4), were easy to do, took insane amounts of life/stun, and as the name implies were unbreakable. Good way to totally nullify a game mechanic :pac:

Every high level player used these ; there were no auto linkers (breakable with any strength combo breaker), or normal chains (breakable with only one strength) used in combos. There was no reason to

There were resets, where you delay a combo ender so it combos on its own, thus doubling damage and stun. Also inescapable

Orchid is the best turtle in any FG. She can literally play keep away and there is no way to get close to her (unless you're Cinder). All her defensive options lead to UB combos, that land you at the other side of the screen. Go figure

Now onto the arcade version. It was the same as the SNES, with even more BS. Cinder had an infinite combo utilizing a silly glitch, among other characters. His was extremely easy. One hit and you lose. Jago and Glacius had infinites (it was eyedol specific so probably not important to mention when talking about balance). Orchid had an infinite (only works on Sabrewulf). There was also air enders in the arcade version (glitch I mentioned earlier), thus increasing combo damage, off of ONE hit

Shadow moves were also too powerful. Some did way too much stun. Delayed enders were OP too (basically doing an ender at the end of a combo where not usually possible using a glitch). Tag on shadow damage and it's just total BS

There's probably loads more things I forget but that's the jist of it. I'm talking broken beyond even fairness here. Really silly levels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Ramza wrote: »
    I'm talking proper broken..

Not to sound bigheaded but I'm probably the only guy here who played the game on a proper in depth/high level

Cinder is beyond broken. His air f . f + 2. b + 2, is almost unblockable, any person can do it, and it takes about 50% life and stuns. It's a retarded OP mixup. And in the SNES version he can go invisible. He can do it in the arcade version too but you can still see his flames

Every character in the game had unbreakable combos, all of which started with a hard hitter (2, 4), were easy to do, took insane amounts of life/stun, and as the name implies were unbreakable. Good way to totally nullify a game mechanic :pac:

Every high level player used these ; there were no auto linkers (breakable with any strength combo breaker), or normal chains (breakable with only one strength) used in combos. There was no reason to

There were resets, where you delay a combo ender so it combos on its own, thus doubling damage and stun. Also inescapable

Orchid is the best turtle in any FG. She can literally play keep away and there is no way to get close to her (unless you're Cinder). All her defensive options lead to UB combos, that land you at the other side of the screen. Go figure

Now onto the arcade version. It was the same as the SNES, with even more BS. Cinder had an infinite combo utilizing a silly glitch, among other characters. His was extremely easy. One hit and you lose. Jago and Glacius had infinites (it was eyedol specific so probably not important to mention when talking about balance). Orchid had an infinite (only works on Sabrewulf). There was also air enders in the arcade version (glitch I mentioned earlier), thus increasing combo damage, off of ONE hit

Shadow moves were also too powerful. Some did way too much stun. Delayed enders were OP too (basically doing an ender at the end of a combo where not usually possible using a glitch). Tag on shadow damage and it's just total BS

There's probably loads more things I forget but that's the jist of it. I'm talking broken beyond even fairness here. Really silly levels

WOW i had no clue that was the case :/
    A remake would be good though:D
    Btw when cinder turns a darker shade of orange what does that do? I never figured it out.

Yeah, the game really is NUTS. It's sooo bad, hence why it had no lifespan competitively. It's insanely broken. You can't enjoy it when people just do broken **** that works. But sooo much fun casually imo

Cinder is fireball invulnerable when he is half invisible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I was a huge KI head when it came out, and I still dust off the Snes from time to time for a game of it. It'll never lose it's charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mickles_86

Without a doubt KI had the best soundtrack of any fighting game to date. Spinals theme was epic!!
    http://youtu.be/OUyObcpdR7o

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Mickles_86 wrote: »
    Without a doubt KI had the best soundtrack of any fighting game to date. Spinals theme was epic!!
    http://youtu.be/OUyObcpdR7o

came with a cd of the in-game music...or was that gold on the 64?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

dan hibiki wrote: »
    came with a cd of the in-game music...or was that gold on the 64?

The SNES had a CD too - Killer Cuts. Totally badass CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I have Killer Kuts in my pile of CDs in my car.

(or I did when I had a car with a CD player)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've never heard Killer Cuts... NOW I MUST HEAR MORE!!

Advertisement