Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Film Channel

Options
  • 25-06-2011 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I remember a while back there was talk of a channel specifically to air Irish films daily, proposed, I think, by the Irish Film Board. It was planned to be part of the new free-to-air digital service as far as I remember, but I imagine it's been put back a few years cause of cutbacks and all. Anybody know what the status of that channel is at the minute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

an all Irish film channel? so basically a channel of endless repeats, there arent enough Irish movies to warrant it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭brian_t

Some of the UK movie channels seem to keep going with just a relatively small number of films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Film Four show Independence Day and World After Tomorrow every 48 hours I like, so Irish Film channel can screen Taffin and I Went Down every two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

krudler wrote: »
    an all Irish film channel? so basically a channel of endless repeats, there arent enough Irish movies to warrant it tbh

I disagree. If they showed indie films and shorts there would be more than enough to fill up the schedule. Most of which would be cheap as chips to acquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    I disagree. If they showed indie films and shorts there would be more than enough to fill up the schedule. Most of which would be cheap as chips to acquire.

true but it wouldnt be commercially viable, people tend to flock to sh1te Irish comedies like Man About Dog and the like and then stuff like I Went Down vanishes on initial release

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It would finally put an end to all these 'Why isn't I went down out on DVD' threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Galvasean wrote: »

Plus show American and English films directed by Irish directors or starring Irish actors. You could have it the channel start at nine have it show three films a night. Have it premiere a Irish film not shown on tv yet at 9 have it screen from Monday to Friday at 9 and show two different film after it every night even have a Irish short film programme on inbetween films.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

So, eh.. Anybody actually know anything about the channel then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

So, eh.. Anybody actually know anything about the channel then? ;)

Its setanta, isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mike65 wrote: »
    Film Four show Independence Day and World After Tomorrow every 48 hours I like, so Irish Film channel can screen Taffin and I Went Down every two days.

i watched taffin for the 1st time on bbc 2 a month ago or so , every irish actor ( + twink ) or media personality of some kind was in it , it was bad but i kinda enjoyed it all the same , alison doody was hot stuff back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Its setanta, isnt it?

YEP.There only showing one film night i think?

YEP.There only showing one film night i think?

The Last Bus Home on Monday 4th July
    Night Train next Tuesday
    H3 on Wednesday
    Puffball on Thursday
    Mapmaker on Friday

Night Train, Puffball and Mapmaker repeated over Sunday

Ailsa on Monday week
    The HoneyMooners on Tuesday
    The Trial on Wednesday

http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Setanta are now screening films? Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

mike65 wrote: »
    Setanta are now screening films? Weird.

They screened u2 at glastonbury the other day. I think setanta seems to be forgetting that it's a sports channel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some of the minor movie channels on Sky show Irish movies,have seen some on Movies4Men and Movies24 recently.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    They screened u2 at glastonbury the other day. I think setanta seems to be forgetting that it's a sports channel. :D

"Setanta achieved an “average reach” of 165,000 for the U2 concert, which was also broadcast by the BBC.
    A good audience for a football match would be 100,000"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0701/1224299837529.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

brian_t wrote: »
    "Setanta achieved an “average reach” of 165,000 for the U2 concert, which was also broadcast by the BBC.
    A good audience for a football match would be 100,000"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0701/1224299837529.html

That doesn't make a music gig a sport though...

No it doesn't but maybe Setanta feel that if they attract more viewers for a couple of hours on a weekday night in July it can only help them in the long term.

I know it's not comparing like with like but TG4 pull in most viewers for their Friday night western film (100,000) compared with their Irish programming (65,000).

http://www.tg4.ie/en/production/tg4-viewing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭irishmusicfeed

Is this the end of the proposed Irish Film Channel:

FROM IFTN.ie:

RTÉ have partnered with Bord Scannán na hÉireann/the Irish Film Board in a collaboration that will see more Irish feature films being shown on Saturday nights on RTÉ2.
    The move has stemmed from the high ratings received from Irish features ‘Rough Rider’, telling the story of Paul Kimmage and the world of professional cycling including the many doping scandals they’ve had, and ‘The Summit’, about eleven climbers that died on the K2, the world’s most dangerous mountain.

RTÉ will mark the occasion by screening the world television premiere of ‘The Hardy Bucks Movie’, directed by Mike Cockayne to box office success last year, after funding from Bord Scannán na hÉireann/the Irish Film Board and RTÉ. A sequel feature film is also currently in development with the IFB.

James Hickey, Chief Executive Bord Scannán na hÉireann/the Irish Film Board said, ‘Irish movies have proved very popular when broadcast on RTE. This partnership underlines RTÉ2’s and the IFB’s commitment to showcasing the best of Irish talent, ensuring Irish audiences have an opportunity to view a wide range of Irish feature films. I’d also like to take this opportunity to congratulate RTE on the launch of the newly launched RTÉ2.

IFTA Award winning ‘The Guard’, directed by John Michael McDonagh and starring Brendan Gleeson, is another film due to be broadcast as part of the partnership. Lenny Abrahamson’s first feature ‘Adam and Paul’ will also be shown, as will his 2012 drama ‘What Richard Did’, which launched actor Jack Reynor onto the international scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Is this the end of the proposed Irish Film Channel:

FROM IFTN.ie:

RTÉ have partnered with Bord Scannán na hÉireann/the Irish Film Board in a collaboration that will see more Irish feature films being shown on Saturday nights on RTÉ2.
    The move has stemmed from the high ratings received from Irish features ‘Rough Rider’, telling the story of Paul Kimmage and the world of professional cycling including the many doping scandals they’ve had, and ‘The Summit’, about eleven climbers that died on the K2, the world’s most dangerous mountain.

RTÉ will mark the occasion by screening the world television premiere of ‘The Hardy Bucks Movie’, directed by Mike Cockayne to box office success last year, after funding from Bord Scannán na hÉireann/the Irish Film Board and RTÉ. A sequel feature film is also currently in development with the IFB.

James Hickey, Chief Executive Bord Scannán na hÉireann/the Irish Film Board said, ‘Irish movies have proved very popular when broadcast on RTE. This partnership underlines RTÉ2’s and the IFB’s commitment to showcasing the best of Irish talent, ensuring Irish audiences have an opportunity to view a wide range of Irish feature films. I’d also like to take this opportunity to congratulate RTE on the launch of the newly launched RTÉ2.

IFTA Award winning ‘The Guard’, directed by John Michael McDonagh and starring Brendan Gleeson, is another film due to be broadcast as part of the partnership. Lenny Abrahamson’s first feature ‘Adam and Paul’ will also be shown, as will his 2012 drama ‘What Richard Did’, which launched actor Jack Reynor onto the international scene.

It's a great idea as long as they show more obscure Irish films and not just the more well known ones like The Guard, Adam and Paul, etc... maybe show a popular one and more unknown one after that. Be a good chance to show some older or more low budget Irish films that went under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

You have to pay for it but volta.ie has quite a number of good irish films (and loads of others).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RTÉ have shown Adam & Paul and What Richard Did quite recently, I'm sure. Last year (or maybe the year before) they had an "Irish Season" where they showed films like The Runway, The Boxer (is that what it's called? The one with Daniel Day Lewis)and a few others.

Sticking an Irish film on on a Saturday evening isn't ideal, I don't think. It'd be much better if they showed Irish films in the Bank Holiday Movie slots. I remember a lot of people ranting one of the Bank Holidays because they were showing The Hangover 2.

I suppose committing to showing Irish films regularly, at all, is a good thing though. Hope it's not just the same 4 or 5 on a cycle though.

They're showing When Harvey Met Bob this Saturday. I know there's a few Irish folk in it but I think it's a BBC production.

Advertisement