Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE NEEDED

Options
  • 24-06-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

hello all i know very little abou computers but i like to play some poker online nothing major . i am with eircom and my signal strength says excellent 54 Mbps (dont know if this is good or bad ) problem is that while playing i get frequently frozen out or disconnected and it is very annoying , any help greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

ciaeim wrote: »
    hello all i know very little abou computers but i like to play some poker online nothing major . i am with eircom and my signal strength says excellent 54 Mbps (dont know if this is good or bad ) problem is that while playing i get frequently frozen out or disconnected and it is very annoying , any help greatly appreciated:)

So that 54mbs is just the speed your modem is going. Go to:
    www.speedtest.net
    Run a test and post your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

This is very odd because the program I use (Full Tilt Poker) is amazing when it comes to how little of the bandwidth (amount of internet you can use) it uses. It was the only thing that would run perfectly with my xbox 360 playing on xBox live. I'm not sure if it's just that program or if it's poker-programs accross the board but if the problem persists and you give up, give Full Tilt a shot anyway.

But yeah^^ run a speed test for us and post the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

What about other programs - are they slow as well , and do they ever freeze .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

It could also be that the wireless signal between your router and computer is dropping intermittently . This can be caused by a neighbouring network broadcasting on the same or close to same frequency and also by other devices (baby monitors , video-senders , etc ) . Can you connect via ethernet cable to see if the problem goes away ? If it does you probably just need to log in to your router and change the broadcast channel (or stick with the wired connection if practical) .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

thanks for responding guys ,, my down load speed varies between 600 and 850 Kbps upload 91 to 104 Kbps .. not really much idea what these figures mean . any advice much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

The technical term for those speeds is awful.
    What bband package you are paying for?
    Do you have a crackling noise in the background when you are on the house phone?

no cracking noise on phone , eircom broadband home starter includes a download speed of up 1Mb and download allowance of up to 10 GB per month 24.99 Euro inc VAT. thanks for response

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Ring eircom support but they will probably say you are far away from the exchange and the signal is weak in the area. Or they might be able to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

The connection speed of 54Mbps with excellent signal strength , coupled with the poor up/down speeds , pretty much implies that the OP has a problem with a wireless connection . It'd be better to determine whether or not the problem is between router and PC before calling the ISP . It usually is ..

ciaeim , can you connect to the router via ethernet cable to see if there's any improvement ?

sorry dont understand you, clueless about theses things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

nessyguin wrote: »
    ciaeim , can you connect to the router via ethernet cable to see if there's any improvement ?
    ciaeim wrote: »
    sorry dont understand you, clueless about theses things

Just means something like this. Looks like a phone cable except a little "chunkier".

Ethernet-Cable.jpg

where would i get one of these

tried the cable but still the same speeds, any ideas on what to do now

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

i used to have the very same problem when playing poker on an eircom line .. the connection would drop out about 6-9 times an hour for up to 3-4 mins at times - too many times when i had good hands .....

what poker site are you on and does it say that you have disconnected ?

it was about 3 years ago when i was living in co.clare ,3-4 miles from the exchange .... a tech did come out and change a box on the telegraph pole outside but this did nothing .....

after endless no joy from eircom support i switched to digiweb . the connection would still drop but only 2 or 3 times a day .... when i asked digiweb about the problem they said it was the phoneline infrastructure and there was basically nothing they could do - since the problem had decreased a huge amount i decided i was happy enough with that ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

hello ciaeim,
    The mention of the 54Mbps suggests you normally collect wireless, without the wire thingy.
    If you are connecting this way way you have to understand that all the bits of your computer are also connecting to the internet this way too.There is a chance that at the same time you are connecting to these sites that microsoft are also downloading updates, your antivirus is downloading a database, adobe is being adobe and being a pain.Basically your wireless connection is maxed.
    Can you provide more info and tell us what operating system you use, like Vista or Windows 7? Also if you look at bottom right corner of screen, what is running there as regards antivirus,google desktop etc?
    Connecting a cable is the best option but there is a chance that even with the cable plugged in, that the default access is set to wireless.What this means is that even though you have a cable plugged in, you are still talking on the slower wireless network?
    Can you provide more info please?

Advertisement