Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

b-static stalling on the 3 Midband network

Options
  • 24-06-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

b-static issues.

Using latest Firefox on a midband dongle, the 3 Network.

Page loading stalls as the browser waits for an asset to do with b-static to make itself available.

Page just stays white. No issues on the same browser\network\PC, if I go through a proxy or VPN.

Just today and late yesterday.

Anyone else having similar issues?

No scripting is blocked for the domain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Amalgam wrote: »
    b-static issues.

Using latest Firefox on a midband dongle, the 3 Network.

Page loading stalls as the browser waits for an asset to do with b-static to make itself available.

Page just stays white. No issues on the same browser\network\PC, if I go through a proxy or VPN.

Just today and late yesterday.

Anyone else having similar issues?

No scripting is blocked for the domain.

It shouldn't stall, since it's served from behind the same load balancer as the rest of the site.

Unless 3 have some sort of filtering proxy in place of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Conor, I've narrowed it down. The culprit is:

http://www.boards.ie/?

Any other link, within the site, as long as it is complete, works fine for me. The problem with the above has only started in the last 3 or 4 days.

I still have the 'waiting for b-static.net' along the Firefox status bar, the page is never seen as having fully loaded though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Do you have any Firefox plugins like Firebug installed? I'd like to try and find which file is causing the issue. Can you narrow it down to any particular file?

I had everything whitelisted in NoScript. So.. I whitelisted the site (again) and whatever was stuck, is now unstuck.

I changed nothing, honest..

I had problems with the site on IE.. (same symptoms) so, I thought maybe an issue with the hosts file, or a Peerblock list issue.

Apologies.. vague problem, vague whingeing, vague thread, vague solution.. :D

Just a follow up on this. A change of APN cured my b-static issues.

Going from 3ireland to 3ireland.ie cured my b-static and POP3 mail problems. (having to check mail multiple times to get it to start and download in Outlook reliably)

boards.ie with the new APN is very responsive. Browser sees site as having fully loaded now.

Nothing was changed except that.

Just thought I'd clarify that.

• Advertisement

Apologies Conor.. look.. some closure at least.

The problems came back, with a vengeance.

I was browsing boards.ie in my usual OpenDNS crippled manner, going from specific sub forum, to specific sub forum, avoiding the main board URL/Domain.

I had problems on both XP PC's, Linux installed (Ubuntu) and Linux Live (Mint). So.. that more or less ruled out a fluffed install or setting.

I had the issues with a Huawei E182E directly plugged in, or through a 3G Router.. in my case, a Dovado 4GR.

I had issues with a Huawei E585 plugged in, on and off.

---

I stumbled across the following post trying to navigate to 'Midband'.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70573818&postcount=2

Where AlmightyCushion casually mentions:
    I'm using google dns servers and my own router..

So, a quick Google leads me here:

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

I change the DNS settings on the Dovado and it works! I can now navigate to:

http://www.boards.ie/?

The favicon on the browser tab also seems to have settled somewhat. Still shows continuous activity on some single posts, but much more settled, the browser sees the main URL as having fully loaded, 99% of the time.

Fingers crossed. Probably go back to being fudged in a few hours, knowing my luck..

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement