Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone PLEASE help!!

Options
  • 24-06-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

OK so my computer won't let me update my windows updates and I have looked around and found the solution, only it doesn't work!

It's quite clear what the solution is; to edit the registry size limit to unlimited. Which I did, and then it says run a sfc check in command prompt.

One of the symptoms of the original problem is that the sfc check doesn't work. It is supposed to work after the registry edit. But mine doesn't! Everyone else's does. You can see in the thread how everyone reported that editing the size limit fixes the problem but mine is persisting.

When I try to run sfc I get
    "you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility"
    - This is
    the same error message that is expected before the reg. edit but I am still getting it after the edit.

If it helps I am running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong. Please, please help. I'm at me wits end :(:(:( Just when I thought I found a solution.....

Sources:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/42e2a200-defe-4c6b-a1b3-606836dcfabb

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8d4ebdf4-9f69-4505-a7e2-0f2e1c6debb8

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/message-update-not-applicable-to-your-computer/41c25b08-3c0e-4d7e-a121-3860c2e24549

EDIT: If it helps here's what my regedit looks like:

NewValue#1 REG_DWORD 0xffffffff(4294967295)

The only thing I can think of is that their entries all look like 0xffffff <-- 6 f's instead of my 8
    But when I do 6 f's my number doesn't equal the required number (4294967295)

EDIT 2:
    Could it be that I am supposed to make it REG_QWORD (64-bit) instead of REG_DWORD(32-bit) because I'm on a 64-bit OS?
    I have no idea if this is what 32/64 bit is referring to?

Well, that didn't work...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Are you actually launching an admin command prompt or a standard one?
    The admin is launched from start>programs>accessiories> locate the command prompt and right click, choose run as administrator.
    Then run the sfc command from there.

You didnt make it clear whether you had tried it that way so sorry if I am just telling you to do what you had already done.
    Post back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mr1percent

I agree with ArtyM's advice as a first step.Also how long has it been since updates stopped working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

ArtyM wrote: »
    Are you actually launching an admin command prompt or a standard one?
    The admin is launched from start>programs>accessiories> locate the command prompt and right click, choose run as administrator.
    Then run the sfc command from there.

You didnt make it clear whether you had tried it that way so sorry if I am just telling you to do what you had already done.
    Post back

Massive, massive facepalm. Can't believe I didn't think of this after it telling me I need to run it as admin. I just assumed though, since I was on the admin account that it mean i was running it as admin.

I'll post again with the results or whatever happens.

It said something like "...found no problems with..." which is what it is supposed to say but windows is still not updating.

:(

What about a re-installation of the OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hey,
    So I assume you have restarted the system after the scan - that seems to be required from the links you posted.
    Can you give some detail on the error message you get when you try to update, maybe also any relevant info from even viewer, and some details of programs running on your system.
    I dont have hands on experience with this exact issue on your particular os so I am not going to throw random suggestions at you but if you post those error messages maybe some of the others on here might recognise your problem.
    Good luck, hope you get sorted.

• Advertisement

Hello Impossible,
    Can you run us through what exactly the problem is from the top? It hard to get a feel for what the issue is.

When you try to a windows update, it fails.

"Some updates were not installed

Failed: 1 update

Error(s) found:

Code 8024200D Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

The links I posted are of thread's that have the same problem as me.

In order to fix this^ you have to edit the registry to allow unlimited registry size and I have done this as instructed but the problem still continues. And according to the scan, the problem has been fixed but I still cant update.

I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong and how to fix it and it appears as though I have but the update is still not working. Quite obviously I made an error somewhere and I was just hoping someone could point it out.

Hello Impossible,
    Just one more question. Where it says Failed=1 update what is the update that has failed?

mr1percent wrote: »
    I agree with ArtyM's advice as a first step.Also how long has it been since updates stopped working?
    Ya see, this is the thing. I recently got win 7 installed on my computer (about 3 weeks) and every time I went to turn off the computer there was an update ready to be installed. I assumed it was different updates (that I needed to catch up on) but what was actually happening was; the one update was failing over and over again and I have only just noticed this today and am now attempting to fix it.

Ans = about 2-3 weeks

Hello Impossible,
    Just one more question. Where it says Failed=1 update what is the update that has failed?
    This one:
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2492386)

Recommended Update

Install this update to resolve a set of know application compapibility issues* with Windows. For a complete listing of the issue that are included in this update see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer

* I have an issue which I hoped would be fixed by this update. This is how I came to realise that an update was failing and the ball dropped that this is the update that is trying to be installed every time I turn off my computer.

I found them threads my googling the update name (above)

• Advertisement

Hello Impossible,
    I gotta dissappear for a few minutes. In the mean time have you tried the direct download from...
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13856

Hello Impossible,
    I gotta dissappear for a few minutes. In the mean time have you tried the direct download from...
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13856
    Yes I certainly have and I downloaded another thing that Microsoft suggested. Did nothing for me.

Downloading direct did not work...well the file is downloaded but my problem seems to lie in installation.

WooHooHomer.jpg

The direct download worked this time!!! I tried it again and it installed without a problem so I go and check for updates and there's nothing more to be updated!

WOOHOO!

Hello Impossible,
    The error code seems to be related to a partial/faulty install the first time round. Glad all is right in the world now. Happy computing dude!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fixing the update when it breaks is like dark arts IMO.

Advertisement