Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it benefit titles if......

Options
  • 24-06-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

We all know many people hate the brand extension and have called for it to be ceased. (We all know this wont happen as wwe can double their house show business.) But what about making the most of the situation and going in the complete opposite direction to this theory and bring back single brand PPV's? I mean it would give lower tier guys more of a chance as storylines would HAVE to be created for them, and they could have more of a focus on their shows as opposed to other brand members getting a spot?This would also add more prestige and value to the midcard titles and heaveyweight championships, by having them the focus of tv.

Titles such as the cruiserweight and maybe hardcore could be o specific brands and give them more of a niche......Smackdown has the high flyers while Raw has the edgier Hardcore division? Would Give Evan Bourne a chance to excell in his own right as oppose to having nothing matches with Swagger.....Tag Champions could take on challengers from both brands and defend the title only on PPV?

Just a thought I had while watchin Vegeance 2003 last night and seeing Eddie and Benoit open the show with a US title match and then thinking wow these to were World Champions within a year after that and was it because of the single brand PPV's that they got their shot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yes it would benefit the undercard titles and the mid-card guys on Raw and SD.

But the single-brand ppvs were abandoned due to low buy-rates. Buy-rates are in the toilet at the moment so they won't be watering them down even further by only featuring half of the main draws on the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Yes it would benefit the undercard titles and the mid-card guys on Raw and SD.

But the single-brand ppvs were abandoned due to low buy-rates. Buy-rates are in the toilet at the moment so they won't be watering them down even further by only featuring half of the main draws on the roster.
    True but if they ever intended to bring this back, why not build up stars to be actual draws ya know.....the likes of Orton and Cena are watched havin the same feud over and over and they expect people to shell out money everytime for this.....I bought every PPV for a good number of years till I just got fed up with watchin the same old stuff.....

The single brand PPVs allowed time for feuds to develop and maybe this format could make fans get more invested into a PPV match nowadays.....maybe this could e whats needed to get the buys out of the gutter.....give the likes of bryan the chance to have a quality PPV match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I think with proper writing and building up characters and feuds correctly this would be the ideal, and a much better long term vision than the current one.

The fact that the brand extension barely means anything apart from them having an excuse to double the house show income says it all, you have the same guys crossing over to both shows every week and pretty much the same PPV repeated for 3 month blocks.

The brands should be distinctly different, with more emphasis put on FEUDING FOR THE TITLES.

It would mean that outside Rumble - Mania time there would be a 2 month build on each brand making the PPVs more important and anticipated.

It would also make Mania more desirable to buy as the only cross brand extravaganza of the year.

Another thing I have always believed is the Rumble should be given away free on a major network... NBC stateside and SKY One here. It's the ultimate event for getting casual fans onboard for the Road to Wrestlemania and should be utilised as such, this is how it was originally conceived after all, although I believe they only actually gave the very first one away free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Didn't they used to have every 3rd PPV as a joint venture?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I mean it would give lower tier guys more of a chance

I don't think I can stomach more air-time of WWE's terrible under- and mid-card. One brand's roster isn't strong enough to carry a PPV. That was the thinking in having single branded PPVs in the first place back in 2003, but it was a flop. Take out Eddie, Benoit, Edge blah blah blah and put in Drew McIntyre, Trent Baretta etc...

That said, divvying up the belts between RAW and SD is a great idea; I whole-heartedly endorse. I'd split 'em this way :

RAW : World, IC, Divas
    SD : World, Cruiserweight, Tag Team

(One world title who is on both shows; all champions can go to RAW and SD)

I really think the hardcore championship would die a death. That time has come and gone and was beaten to death in the Attitude Era. Not to mention it was severely devalued by jobbers holding it and you don't have enough division-specific wrestlers. It'd just be deactivated in 2 years.

That said, I don't think either RAW or SD roster is strong enough in general. I absolutely abhor at least 1/3 if not more of both rosters. It's a disgrace the fraction of green/boring characters on both brands. They have enough talent for one good show, sloughing off the useless undercard. I realise there's not another "Austin" on the roster but that's no excuse for not having a great mid-card roster.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I don't think I can stomach more air-time of WWE's terrible under- and mid-card. One brand's roster isn't strong enough to carry a PPV. That was the thinking in having single branded PPVs in the first place back in 2003, but it was a flop. Take out Eddie, Benoit, Edge blah blah blah and put in Drew McIntyre, Trent Baretta etc...

That said, I don't think either RAW or SD roster is strong enough in general. I absolutely abhor at least 1/3 if not more of both rosters. It's a disgrace the fraction of green/boring characters on both brands. They have enough talent for one good show, sloughing off the useless undercard. I realise there's not another "Austin" on the roster but that's no excuse for not having a great mid-card roster.

But are the characters green and boring due to them not being given the proper airtime to shine? Zak Ryder is a perfect example.....to me he was just a generic guy untill he started doing his videos ya know......Kofi, Ziggler, Bryan, Barrett Gabriel, Bourne, Swagger all have great potential.....

and it will force WWE to introduce new guys and with the introduction of the new guys they will have to be given distinctive gimmicks that set them apart....

Just would be far more interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

...you put the question in the title?

yes

...you put the question in the title?

yes

Would also benefit if you contributed to the thread as oppose to being condescending.

You'd think it would, but WWE would just throw on matches without any storylines or reason. WWE can only do like 3 storylines max. 1 main one (world title), and 2 slowly progessing ones in the mid-card. The rest of the roster falls by the wayside. TBH it is more effective because it instills a heirarchy so you know who the main, mid and lower-card is. The opposite is seen in TNA where they have a lot of storylines, and nobody gets over.

Some are definitely not maximising their potential but I don't see (for example) Ziggler's charisma bursting through. For every Zack Ryder there's 10 Tyson Kidds. Bryan can be interesting if he had a storyline; Kofi's serious character too, but Gabriel, Slater, Bourne, Smith, Tamina, Primo blah blah they're all extremely bland and have never given me a glimmer or a reason to believe they're interesting.

Part of this problem is that all these guys are so young. Wrestlers only peak when in their mid-to-late 30s. And exposing guys 10 years or more before they're ready to shine is such a bad idea....McIntyre!

With this PPV style format the guys would atleast be given a chance on the flagship show...we duno what the likes of Tyson Kidd is like to be fair, hell give him a gimmick, give him airtime and let him run with it, Dustin Rhodes turns to Goldust like WTF, but it worked cause he was given a chance!

...Colt Cabana wasnt given time to let his personality shine anybody watchin him as Scotty Goldman knew he was a jobber, Low Ki was let go as they had nothing for him even after he won NXT.....Brodus Clay stands out but whats he doing now?

What if vanson was given time to develop this character.....experimentation would be allowed due to the format im proposing

• Advertisement

I can only surmise that [slur that rhymes with bike] Cabana didn't get a "Santino" role was because he didn't know/was liked by the right people. He was like Ryder, really getting himself over - I guess it was another case of "how dare you get yourself over" syndrome...

I don't know why Bret wasn't paired with the New Hart Foundation; he could talk for them, get them over...

Do you remember the rumours that LoKi was gonna debut under a mask and face Mysterio? But then he injured his leg? I reckon WWE threw a strop w/r/t him since then. But LoKi should know better than to go to WWE as a small talented indy guy and expect instant success over less talented big guys. Everybody's gotta pay their dues and small indy guys gotta pay 'em time and again.

I'm really down with trying new things and giving wrestlers characters; trying to get as many people over as possible. The more over people there are the better the show, no?

How would you divvy up the titles?

Right so with Raw you got the higher tier Guys
    Cm Punk
    The Miz
    Cena Champion
    Del Rio
    Mysterio
    Triple H
    Big Show
    R-Truth

Mid Tier
    Riley
    Ziggler Champion
    Kingston
    Morrisson
    Swagger
    Bourne

Lower Tier
    Marella
    Kozlov
    Mcguillicuty
    Primo
    Reks
    Ryder
    JTG
    Goldust
    Otunga
    Ryan
    Hawkins
    Masters

Then In FCW you would have more superstars to choose from

Now I believe with the single branded PPV's guys from the lower tier can push up and vie for a proper mid card spot, why cant the likes of JTG get a proper chance to shine?

Well lets look at last weeks Raw, a 3 hour show and Smackdown guys diluted it down.....Henry, Kane, Bryan and Rhodes all participated on the raw while actual Raw guys didnt get a shot.....with single brand PPV's they would actually have no choice but to put the likes of Reks in a spot where to see if he can draw, and if he cant well back to the drawing board with JTG trying and so forth.....This wouldnt be a problem if Superstars was a properly booked show so all the lower guys atleast had a platform to try get themselves over....hell id even give that show a title belt!

In fairness the Raw roster is stacked right now and i believe they could draw buys for a PPV in their own right!

I agree that WWE has elavated alot of guys recently with R-Truth and Miz going to the top tier but at the end of the day if they win the title it aint really a big deal anymore......single ppvs will add prestige to the brands title holder as they are a seperate entity from the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Voltwad wrote: »
    Didn't they used to have every 3rd PPV as a joint venture?

The big 5 PPVs (Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, King of the Ring, Summerslam and Survivor Series) were for Raw and Smackdown. The others were either Raw or Smackdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Get rid of the "world titles" and just keep the WWE ones, its stupid having so many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Get rid of the "world titles" and just keep the WWE ones, its stupid having so many.

It made sense with the brand extension. Although it would have made more sense to keep all the WWE titles on Raw and the WCW titles (World, US, cruiserweight and tag team) on Smackdown.

Now though, there are too many titles. I'd rather that the WHC and WWE titles were united.

I think it really depends on the roster depth. Having more belts is an artificial way of pushing more people but in reality it just dilutes the importance of the belt. Being champion (and not 3 other dudes) is not that impressive. You'll still face the same guys regardless. If u have champions on both show it'd eliminate the need for treating your belts like crap (because there are too many)...then things like the WWE/World Tag Titles Unification matches or the US Champ vs Former 2-time world champ wouldn't become Dark matches at Mania. It's no small wonder why even the commentators mix up who has what mid-card title!

We can only really evaluate the rosters depth by giving people a chance....obviously now it seems thin but repackage a wrestler into a different gimmick and you could have a star......happened with Austin, HHH, The Rock,Kane and even lesser stars such as Godfather, Billy Gunn and Road Dogg. These people were afforded the chance to excell in a role, due to be given airtime....airtime which is not being afforded to some guys....like in fairness if your gonna do brand extension why not do it properly ya know.

Definitely one of WWE's biggest problems is not making the best out of what they've got. I reckon that's why TNA repeatedly get that 1.1 million viewers; at least they're doing something fresh and always trying new things (even if it is a detriment). WWE's structured show makes sense and some segments are great but in general their show is very boring. In definite stark contrast to the feel of RAW of 10 years ago. I guess part of that is having legit competition and wondering who's going and who's coming in the door.

Last week we had Rhodes v Bryan on both Smackdown and Raw...why bother doing this especially if their fued doesnt even warrent enough to be on capitol punishment.....with single branded ppv their particular fued may seem proper legit, have a vid package for them before a match, make it a big deal, propel both their status and they will both be better off at the end.

This also frees room up on Raw for another storyline with mid card guys.More stars will be created

Advertisement