Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 reinstall

Options
  • 24-06-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T510i currently running Windows 7 in 32bit mode. I also have a full copy of Windows 7 32/64 bit that I installed on another computer, can I reinstall Windows 7 64bit on my laptop and just use the windows key that came with my laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭big man andy

TheZohan wrote: »
    I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T510i currently running Windows 7 in 32bit mode. I also have a full copy of Windows 7 32/64 bit that I installed on another computer, can I reinstall Windows 7 64bit on my laptop and just use the windows key that came with my laptop?

Use the key that came with the 64bit edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mr1percent

If you have already validated the Win7 32/64 bit copy on another machine then you will probably have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Use the key that came with the 64bit edition.

I've already used that key on the desktop install, it only comes with one key for both 32 and 64 bit.
    mr1percent wrote: »
    If you have already validated the Win7 32/64 bit copy on another machine then you will probably have a problem.

That's what I was wondering, will the key that is associated with the Win 7 32 that's already on my laptop work for both 32 and 64 bit... as was the case with the full copy of Win 7 that I purchased for the desktop.

So basically the question is will my current Win 7 32 bit key work with Win 7 64bit if I install Win 7 64bit on my laptop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Its valid, but you might need to ring up microsoft beforehand to get them to verify it. If you explain what you are doing they will have no problem validating the key.

deconduo wrote: »
    Its valid, but you might need to ring up microsoft beforehand to get them to verify it. If you explain what you are doing they will have no problem validating the key.

Hello deconduo,
    I have often wondered about this but never got around to testing it out. Are you saying that I can install both the 32bit version and the 64bit version of win 7 on 2 different machines and use the same key for both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

No, you can only use the key on one machine at a time legally!
    But if you are going to just install Win7 64bit on the machine that you are currently using the key on with a 32bit install you should have no problems doing so. Or if you want to discontinue using your current pc and switch a retail licence to a new pc that can be done too.

ok..so as not to get off topic.
    In the OP case...
    "I also have a full copy of Windows 7 32/64 bit that I installed on another computer,"
    This means that he cannot install the 64bit version of this disc onto his laptop because he has allready used the key on "another computer"..correct?

Well it's not a simple issue and I can't guarantee that it will work.
    But when you buy a pc/laptop with Windows already installed on it you get what is called an OEM licence with that machine. This means that licence is tied to that machine and you cannot move it to another computer, but you can do a reinstall and won't have to reactivate because it's tied to the hardware. So I believe for the OP they can just do a full clean install of the 64bit version and everything will work properly, without having to activate.

Man..now i'm confused.
    "I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T510i currently running Windows 7 in 32bit mode"
    So this is the OEM with the key printed on a sticker on the machine.

" I also have a full copy of Windows 7 32/64 bit that I installed on another computer"
    This is a seperate version of Win 7 with a key that has allready been activated.

"can I reinstall Windows 7 64bit on my laptop"
    He wants to install the activated version of Win7......

"and just use the windows key that came with my laptop"
    ...but use the key thats on the sticker on the laptop. So he wants to use the oem 32 bit key to validate a seperate 64 bit version of windows 7?

Is that actually possible?

Man..now i'm confused.

" I also have a full copy of Windows 7 32/64 bit that I installed on another computer"
    This is a seperate version of Win 7 with a key that has allready been activated.

"can I reinstall Windows 7 64bit on my laptop"
    He wants to install the activated version of Win7......

"and just use the windows key that came with my laptop"
    ...but use the key thats on the sticker on the laptop. So he wants to use the oem 32 bit key to validate a seperate 64 bit version of windows 7?

Is that actually possible?

That's it. Basically I want to upgrade my laptop from Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit using the key that came with the laptop but using a copy of Win 7 that I already have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

He has 2 computers and 2 valid keys, so its ok.

"That's it. Basically I want to upgrade my laptop from Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit using the key that came with the laptop but using a copy of Win 7 that I already have"
    Hello Zohan,
    I dont think thats possible.As you have allready activated the 32/64 bit licence if you put the 64bit disc into the laptop you will be using the same licence on 2 machines...which is not possible.

You got it in one
    This is a retail version of Windows which the OP has bought and installed on a separate computer.

Now he can use the disc which he bought to install the 64 bit version of windows 7 on his laptop. He won't need to use any activation code during the install because the laptop has an OEM licence and any Win7 licence is valid with any Win7 version(i think :P ) his OEM licence will also cover the 64bit version.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    You got it in one

This is a retail version of Windows which the OP has bought and installed on a separate computer.

Now he can use the disc which he bought to install the 64 bit version of windows 7 on his laptop. He won't need to use any activation code during the install because the laptop has an OEM licence and any Win7 licence is valid with any Win7 version(i think :P ) his OEM licence will also cover the 64bit version.

Sorry,
    but i disagree
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/can-i-installing-the-64bit-and-32bit-copies-on-two/5970b8c7-69cc-4c3d-9baa-ddc9ffadab03

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-package-includes-both-32bit-and-64bit/46a1d52a-e044-e011-90b6-1cc1de79d2e2

one liscence , one machine

I think you should re-read that, it says the very same thing I said.
    He isn't trying to install Win7 on two different machines using the one key.
    He is trying to upgrade one machine to 64bit, so one licence one machine. It will work.

"That's it. Basically I want to upgrade my laptop from Win 7 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit using the key that came with the laptop but using a copy of Win 7 that I already have"
    Hello Zohan,
    I dont think thats possible.As you have allready activated the 32/64 bit licence if you put the 64bit disc into the laptop you will be using the same licence on 2 machines...which is not possible.

My laptop came with a licence for Win 7 32bit. I simply want to install Win 7 64bit, using the copy of Win 7 that I bought, and then reactivate Win 7 using the key that originally came with the laptop.
    Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I think you should re-read that, it says the very same thing I said.
    He isn't trying to install Win7 on two different machines using the one key.
    He is trying to upgrade one machine to 64bit, so one licence one machine. It will work.

Correct, and thanks. :)

No prob, happy to help :) and glad it worked!

If i misunderstood I am sorry. Let us know how you get on Zohan.

Right for anyone interested you cannot install Windows 7 retail and use an OEM activation key, you'll need to get your hands on an OEM copy of Windows 7 and use the activation key that came with your PC/laptop.

The OEM activation keys are 20 characters long and retail packs are 25(?) characters long. I searched online and some people mentioned changing the value of the ei.cfg file from "retail" to "oem" via Notepad as a workaround but this didn't work for me.

I'm sure there's a legit way to download an OEM copy of Windows 7 for free and use your existing activation key but I couldn't find it. Digital River have all other versions of Windows 7 available online to download except for OEM.

Advertisement