Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling accounts

Options
  • 24-06-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I will be travelling and will want to log into my bookies, moneybookers and bank of ireland online banking account.

I will be using internet cafes and public wifi.

is there anyway to make my details secure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I will be travelling and will want to log into my bookies, moneybookers and bank of ireland online banking account.

I will be using internet cafes and public wifi.

is there anyway to make my details secure?

I would suggest using a private VPN. There is a deal here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72489782

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I dunno about the bookies, but BoI's online banking (and any other reputable bank or online shop) force SSL on their connections.
    If you have a decent browser (pretty much anything in the last couple of years) and make sure the connection is encrypted (usually there's an icon in the address bar) this will be fine since they warn you if the site's signature doesn't seem to match.

I wouldn't really trust it if it's not your own PC/laptop though, someone could have tampered with the list of signing authorities, or installed a keylogger, or any one of a thousand other things.

Private VPN would of course be good if you don't mind paying and setting it up, it would ensure that the rest of your traffic (on sites that don't encrypt by default) can't be snooped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Anyway around the keylogger or some virus. Possibly some program i can install on the internet cafe pc that encrypts my keystrokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Bump for a keylogger solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

The On-Screen Keyboard? Is that any good since you won't actually be pressing any keys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Either way your taking a risk using public computers. Best bet would be hotel (reputable ones) and their business centers. Not ideal, but most have security software etc installed so their is some peace of mind.

As regards keyloggers, you'll be ok for banking because you'll only be giving away a few letters of your pin and password in each case. Not enough to get someone else in, provided its not easily reconstructed from 4 or so letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ironclaw wrote: »
    Either way your taking a risk using public computers. Best bet would be hotel (reputable ones) and their business centers. Not ideal, but most have security software etc installed so their is some peace of mind.

As regards keyloggers, you'll be ok for banking because you'll only be giving away a few letters of your pin and password in each case. Not enough to get someone else in, provided its not easily reconstructed from 4 or so letters.

I disagree with this. There was an article in 2600 some time back pointing out the tremendous security problems some hotel computers had, with all kinds of monitoring apps installed on the ones the author used.

One thing you could use is a yubi key as a One time Password generator, they cost about $25. Go to http://yubico.com/yubikey for more information.
    I dunno about the bookies, but BoI's online banking (and any other reputable bank or online shop) force SSL on their connections.
    If you have a decent browser (pretty much anything in the last couple of years) and make sure the connection is encrypted (usually there's an icon in the address bar) this will be fine since they warn you if the site's signature doesn't seem to match.

SSL is not the one stop solution it once was. With the proliferation of SSL-stripping tools, a simple poisoned DNS, is all thats required for an attacker to get all your credentials. Hell theres an app in the android store that can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SecurityGuy

The simplest advice is - avoid using public hotspots/computers/network.
    If you use VPN make sure it supports Exclusive Tunneling

Advertisement