Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common (vivaparous)Lizard

Options
  • 24-06-2011 11:25am

Hey Guys

My father was telling me he was taking the BBQ out of our shed out back when something fell from it. He looked down and it was a 6 inch green lizard , it ran back into the shed and up the wall. We got no pictures , but i hope to get down there at some stage and take a look. If i see it , i will try get some pictures.
    Anybody hear of these before ? ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The common or viviparous lizard, they can be seen occasionally during the summer, basking in the sun, especially in mountains or sand dunes.

This is right beside the beach. I was thinking it was the common lizard. I didnt think they are that common. I am yet to see one.

I heard once that there were a few slow-worms (a legless lizard, looks like a small snake) naturalised in this country.
    Has anyone ever seen one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

So there are lizards in ireland didn't know that. Were they introduced recently or have they always been around?

I didnt think they are that common. I am yet to see one.

They aren't all that common, its just their English name, as they are more common than the other type found in England, the sand lizard. We only have the one species though. Very hard to get a good look at them; usually all you see is the disturbed lizard darting into a burrow. They have always been around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Often seen these little fellas scurrying about the place, usually making a dive into creeping gorse, or out on the bog. Just wondering about his proper name. Found him in some furze which I had cut over the Winter, was picking the firewood out of it a while back and there he was. Quite happy on my gloved hand, left him back where I found him.

Image0364.jpg

Image0362.jpg

Image0363.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

common or viviparous lizard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Threads merged and title changed :)

Funny that two lizard threads turn up on the same day. I just read this morning on the IWT Twitter that there
    "has been a surge in lizard sightings across Ireland of late, including one swimming across a lake in West Cork!"

Took those pics June 8th, seeing as it's spilling down today I thought I'd find out what he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've only once seen a lizard, found all curled up, happy and very sleepy under the mop in a house on Inis Mór :) We had to re-locate him outside due to need to use the mop. I think I posted a photo in the photo thread at the time.

• Advertisement

That one would have stayed on my glove all day long, not a bit bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

recedite wrote: »
    I heard once that there were a few slow-worms (a legless lizard, looks like a small snake) naturalised in this country.
    Has anyone ever seen one of these?
    I have a friend who's seen slow worms, down around the Youghal area.

cscook wrote: »
    I have a friend who's seen slow worms, down around the Youghal area.

Any idea what sort of habitat they were in? For instance, was it in a back garden, near the beach, or up in the hills?

johngalway wrote: »
    That one would have stayed on my glove all day long, not a bit bothered.

Glove? I thought it was your wrinkly green skin, John. :D
    Maybe the lizard felt an affinity with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

recedite wrote: »
    Any idea what sort of habitat they were in? For instance, was it in a back garden, near the beach, or up in the hills?
    As far as I remember it was near the beach, probably in the sandy dune area. I might be able to check...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Great pics johngalway, he/she looks like a dragon in the second and third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Always a fair few common lizards out basking on warm days on the boardwalks in Glendalough.Didn't know we had slow worms here though,would love to see one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Plenty of references to be found of Slow Worms in The Burren Co. Clare.

Seems to have been introduced in the 70s and have naturalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are slow worm a type of snake??

thought st Pat got rid of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

fryup wrote: »
    are slow worm a type of snake??

thought st Pat got rid of them
    No, despite their appearance of being a snake, they are legless lizards, and neither are they particularly slow or a worm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Mothman wrote: »

Seems to have been introduced in the 70s and have naturalised.

I have never seen any photos or videos of Irish Slowworms.

Has anyone else?

Mothman wrote: »
    Yes, but that's how it is on the internet; a snippet of info keeps getting repeated until it seems like lots of independent references. You can't beat first hand actual reports of sightings though! They seem to particularly like the warmth inside compost heaps, so they could easily live anywhere in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 leonvdn

Wow thats a great lizard picture up there!
    By the way if we're talking reptiles it mite be usefull to point out that we also have common newts which are amphibians but look a bit like lizards, especially when they are away from water. :D

I am going to get down there and try get some pictures next month. Thats if they are still around.

I would love to get a picture of a slow worm. Or just even see one. I might even take a drive out to the burren. Is there a certain time of year to see them ?

Advertisement