Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

timing belt change. is new water pump needed?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

I have to get my timing belt changed on my civic diesel. Is there any need to change the water pump with it. The guys in the garage said its not essential but recommended. It's a decent saving if you don't change it and what's really the likelihood that the pump would go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Depends on how old it is and how much its been used. If its not much use or only a few years i'd leave it but definitely get one every second timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chrisbuckley

i would replace it, the 70 or 80 euro for the pump is small comparing to an engine rebuild if it fails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

You might as well, best time to have access to the water pump when changing the timing belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Its a 1.7 diesel presumably? The timing belt doesn't drive the water pump on that engine so it wouldn't be as essential as when they are driven by the belt.

It is however, as mentioned, often much simpler to replace the water pump while the timing belt is off, saving on future labour costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Its the 1.7 ctdi alright.
    The price of the water pump with the added anti freeze brought the price up considerably, about 130euro, if its not essential i thought I would leave it till the next timing belt change. This is the first belt change so i might get away with it.
    If the pump goes surely its not catastrophic failure like if the timing belt snapped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    It pumps water around your engine to keep help keep it cool. So if it fails its defo not a good thing

True, but I thought a sensor would cut off the engine automatically to protect itself from overheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

When I was looking at getting my timing belt changed and asked about the water pump the mechanic, an indy who I was told from a number of people is very good, said that he normally doesn't change the water pump on honda's as it never goes so only if the customer really wants it.

I've no idea how true this is but its what he said and I can't see any advantage for him to say it if not true. Its is an expensive enough part alright so can see why you wouldn't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Replacement of water pump is not essential but is recommended. Depends on your priorities, breakdown/cooked engine -v- save a few Euro.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056260330

Advertisement