Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where was the first roundabout in Kilkenny City

• 23-06-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where the first roundabout to open was.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Someone in the Kilkenny forum might know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'll take a guess, it's either the callan road/ring road junction or the Dublin road/ring road. Don't think there were any before the ring road. I can still remember the first traffic lights at St Patricks church.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Someone in the Kilkenny forum might know. :rolleyes:

Sorry,Should have said "without sheep on them".;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

catbear wrote: »
    I'll take a guess, it's either the callan road/ring road junction or the Dublin road/ring road. Don't think there were any before the ring road. I can still remember the first traffic lights at St Patricks church.

That roundabout would of only appeared when the Ring Road was opened so the other roundabouts would of opened then too. But as hard as I think that would of been the first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Seeing as we're on the subject of roundabouts, I just read in the advertiser that they're going to put a roundabout at Henebrys Cross.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Seeing as we're on the subject of roundabouts, I just read in the advertiser that they're going to put a roundabout at Henebrys Cross.

Good news for traffic coming from Ballyragget, can be waiting at that junction forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Dymo wrote: »
    That roundabout would of only appeared when the Ring Road was opened so the other roundabouts would of opened then too. But as hard as I think that would of been the first.
    I agree but I have a vague recollection that that roundabout was in use before the ringroad was officially opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

The Waterbarrack roundabout has been there since the 1970s. This is from the Kilkenny people 6th Apr 2009:

"THE Butts community is making a county wide appeal for help to find photos of their 'lost street'. Clooney's Hill is still fondly remembered by older generations of Kilkenny citizen's as Kilkenny's steepest hill, but this street and the Waterbarrack Park disappeared from Kilkenny history in the 1970s to be replaced by the major traffic roundabout at the Waterbarrack."

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Thanks to everyone.I dont think I'm going to win a pint on this one.
    I think roundabouts on the ringroad pre-dated the Butts one,but the confusion is that the bridge on the ring road was delayed so there was no need for a roundabout on the Dublin road .I maintained that the Waterford Rd was the first as there was just a link from the Bridge Rd. to the callan Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Was that roundabout at the Butts there before the bridge?

The bridge on the ring road was opened in 1984
    http://www.heritageinschools.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/investigations/Kilkenny_History/fifthsixth/documents/The%20Nore%20and%20its%20Bridges.pdf

and the roundabouts on the ring road all date from that time. There was no ring road before then, all traffic had to drive through the city centre.

Just asked my dad, he says Callan Rd or Dublin Rd, he can't remember which one of those two went in first.

As part of my work I regularly drove Carlow to Cork via Kilkenny in the early eighties and you had to go through the centre of Kilkenny to get to the Clonmel or Waterford road and there were no roundabouts anywhere. There was no roundabout on Dublin road either as the Ring Road didn't exist. That was between 1980 and 1983. If the Butts roundabout was built in the 70s it must be the oldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kilomike31

This is a trick question 'cos Kilkenny isn't a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Bye Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kilomike31 wrote: »
    This is a trick question 'cos Kilkenny isn't a city.

Oh p!ss off!!

Advertisement