Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making your music available for free download?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have a new collection of songs freshly mastered and ready for the world. I have made the decision to make them available as a mini-album for free download. I am thinking of either bandcamp or soundcloud to do this, but I wanted to get the opinions of the boardies:

what is the best site(s) for this kind of thing?
    do I need to know how to put them in a zip folder etc for people who will download or will the website do this for me?

I have my ISRC codes and the songs are registered, is there anything else I need to consider?

thanks
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

I use bandcamp for my band (shameless plug --> http://racketeers.bandcamp.com). Ridiculously easy. Set up a profile in 5 mins. Can customise your page a little bit, with your bit of artwork, bio, header etc.
    So easy to upload songs. Just select the file on the website and give the info of it, no need for any techno know-how.
    I haven't used soundcloud but I gather its quite similar

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

IrishCian wrote: »
    I use bandcamp for my band (shameless plug --> http://racketeers.bandcamp.com). Ridiculously easy. Set up a profile in 5 mins. Can customise your page a little bit, with your bit of artwork, bio, header etc.
    So easy to upload songs. Just select the file on the website and give the info of it, no need for any techno know-how.
    I haven't used soundcloud but I gather its quite similar

hey thanks for the reply. by the looks of it Bandcamp is pretty popular for this sort of thing and seems user friendly. I'll give it a go and post the results :D
    good luck with your EP

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

musicglue is also pretty good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Syphor_1

Really you should post your stuff on everything but try reverbnation for posting your music mate.
    and then link it off to your Facebook page, very easily set up and with one linked to the other you'll get you "likes" up on FB for networking.

also you have lots of options on reverbnation , you can set it so a sample of 30 seconds is played and then when the person hit's the "like" button they can download the whole track if you want to build up a fan base but there's loads of other variations of how you want your music to be listened to.

but on these you'll upload them as individual tracks, and also some will have rules about what format they can host them in, so you may have to convert them to a smaller file sized format for different sites

We've (who said shameless plug - Syphor- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Syphor/128276987232475?sk=app_2405167945) used all the sites and this is about the best set up i've seen

also try :
    Last Fm
    soundcloud
    myspace
    also link all the sites you post on to twitter

all the best with your music.

Jay - Syphor

Advertisement