Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WesternLakes Polka Dot 2011

Options
  • 23-06-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Hey All
    Saturday 16th July.
    The 2 routes are the Polka Dot Fada 150km. Polka Dot Beag 100km.
    More info and map links and online entry are here.
    http://www.westernlakescc.com/#/polkadot-challenge-route2009/4531993692.(excuse the typo's re routes).

There will be 3 stops on the Fada and 2 on the Beag. There is a post ride BBQ.
    WesternlakesCC Leisure events support the Mayo CF building rule.

We have moved to the Saturday after feedback from people who travelled long distances and to encourage people from East of the Shannon to come and give it ago.
    Anyone who has a better Half or friends who dont Cycle but who maybe interested in a days walking in the hills thru which you are cycling might be interested in the Joyce Country Challenge http://www.lakedistricthwc.com/JoyceDetails.aspx
    Updates will be on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Western-Lakes-Cycling-Club/330941294287 on event page..

Thanks Esroh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thinking of trying the PolkaDot Beag 100km.

Are the climbs (2 Cat 5 and 1 Cat 4 according to MayMyRide) in this tough - haven't tried any of them before?

Where and after what distance are the 2 food stops?

Did many do this distance in the PolkaDot Challenge last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Thinking of trying the PolkaDot Beag 100km.

Are the climbs (2 Cat 5 and 1 Cat 4 according to MayMyRide) in this tough - haven't tried any of them before?
    Bohaun is the 1st C5 and is approx 1km steady ramp.

Lally's Hill is classified as the Cat 4 Comparable to anything done in Tours of Sligo or Burren.

Maumtrasna(2dC5) is 1km with a steep start then a flat and a steep finish

Where and after what distance are the 2 food stops? Main FS is Tourmakeady at 60km and light refreshments at 90km in Finny
    . There will be water and fruit at Killawalla before climbs begin

Did many do this distance in the PolkaDot Challenge last year?
    We have added in 20km at the start to bring up 100km so last year we had 60 riders do the 80km the climbs being the same.

Ben just noticed you in Galway. Lally's would be no stiffer than Seanaphistin . Other 2 would be like the Moycullen/Spiddal rd

Esroh wrote: »
    We have added in 20km at the start to bring up 100km so last year we had 60 riders do the 80km the climbs being the same.

Ben just noticed you in Galway. Lally's would be no stiffer than Seanaphistin . Other 2 would be like the Moycullen/Spiddal rd

Ok thanks for all that info Esroh.

I have climbed Seanaphistin from the Oughterard side and it is very tough - and it was last summer when I had a lot more miles on the clock!

That climb out of Moycullen towards Spiddal is well tough too - so 2 of them.:eek:

Whats the atmosphere like on this? Is it mainly club cyclists?

Have cycled the Croi, around Lough Corrib, where the atmosphere was great, and the Tour of Meath where it wasn't.

Ben
    If you can do the Croi you can do the Polka Dot Beag.Might have been wrong in comparing it with Spiddal/Moycullen. Dont let me put you off.

The 1st hill would be a bit like the Maumcross to Maam climb though more of a consistant grade.
    3rd climb would have a start and finish as steep as Maumean (before Cornamona) but the flat in the middle breaks it up .
    Athmosphere is good though Numbers have been lower than any you have mentioned so its harder to compare . We have a large Leisure division in the club with lots of different levels from the psuedo racers to the hybrid riders who do it. The visiting riders have also been all types over the years.

The Locals now know what its all about so people do give you encouragement and the Drivers accept cycling around here as there has always been a good cycling tradition in the area and Route Roads are used by both Westernlakes and Covey Wheelers alot for group spins all year round

Ok sound Esroh.

If I get in my planned spins between now and July 16th I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭freddie_

Greeting Esroh,
    Very interested in doing the 160km, if i can manage it, just wondering about 2 things?
    1. Can i register on the day and
    2. will you promise good weather!!

I know some of the climbs involved so i think i should be able to survive it.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What time is sign on open and what time does it start?

Lads
    Yes you can sign on on the morning
    Sign on will open at 7.30am and both events start at 9am.

As for the Weather I dont want to curse this years event(we have not had a bad day yet:D)

Freddie the climbs are special in their own way.
    Mapmyride gives 6 a classification 1xCat3
    5xCat5 These range from 1.9km to 3,9km.
    We also mark 3 others in the last 30km which we feel are worth noting and do add a sting in the tail.
    Compared to the climbs in W200, SKToW or ToSligo they are short.But the first 30km is on nice rolling roads which give the legs/lungs time to warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chem100479

Hi there,

I have signed up for the WLPD challenge but debating whether to do the 100 or 160km. I did the W200 recently and found it tough. The WLPD climbs look tough too. Just wondering if many have signed up for the 160km spin? I'm not a very fast lady cyclist either. I want to do the 160km but hope i'd be able for it!
    Thx

• Advertisement

chem100479 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have signed up for the WLPD challenge but debating whether to do the 100 or 160km. I did the W200 recently and found it tough. The WLPD climbs look tough too. Just wondering if many have signed up for the 160km spin? I'm not a very fast lady cyclist either. I want to do the 160km but hope i'd be able for it!
    Thx

Well done on W200 you will def do the 160km.
    Not sure how many have signed up but we do have a bunch of Club Leisure cyclists who are doing it including most of the women. All the Girls rode their 1st 160 in the Burren.
    Speed is not important. Its a leisure event not a race.
    I would say aim for 160km
    One thing about the routes is that there are a number of options to cut a few miles(or a hill or 2 :)) off the 160km if you are struggling. Taking the options you can do from between approx 120 and 140.

Hope this helps. I'll ask the Event sec re numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

i'm coming down from Dublin to do it.

i borrowed a bike and did the 80km there a few weeks ago, it was the first cycle i'd ever done and really enjoyed it!

got my own bike in the meantime
    can't wait

Not sure if you guys took part yesterday but if so Thanks and we would be grateful for any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

i took part yesterday, and really enjoyed it!

no complaints at all apart from the weather. it was a very well organized event!
    the route was great.

i just need a lot more training for the next one!!

Esroh wrote: »
    Not sure if you guys took part yesterday but if so Thanks and we would be grateful for any feedback.

No unfortunately I could not participate in the end, did not get in enough kms in the meantime, hope it was an enjoyable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granite Head

Did the "Beag" Saturday. Considering the conditions I "think" I enjoyed it :confused: Got a puncture early on so really appreciated the support van. All in all a well organised event - well marshalled, good food (during & after) and good quality T-shirt as a momento. I imagine on a fine day the views would be "stunning", I will try and do some parts of it again on a nicer day. A pity that there were so many competing events locally that probably kept numbers down.

Would recommend!

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child,Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & 8Wine, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 winters506

Really enjoyed Saturday. Did the 160. Really sharp climbs. Tough conditions, similar to Wicklow but not as cold. Food and drink stops well spaced. Well done esroh and all at WLCC. Excellently run.

Defo doing next year.

If You keep an eye on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Western-Lakes-Cycling-Club/330941294287

We will post the Photographs as soon as we get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wilmaa

Ohh yeah, Saturday's weather was certainly a challenge! but the views were stunning despite the naff weather. Had originally decided to do the Beag route, but ended up doing the 'Fada Lite / Beag Extra' instead. After refuelling at the food stop, decided we were not ready to go home, so made a detour on to the Fada route and got to sample the goodies on offer at the next stop.

The backup support was excellent, offering cereal bars and loads encouragement along the way. The route was well marked and the words of encouragement at crucial times was a nice added touch:).

Huge thanks to all who made it such a great day, espec CF backup crew, glad to have done it and will mark the date in the diary for next year and hopefully the weather will be better.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭freddie_

Well Esroh. Did the 160km and really enjoyed it. very difficult course, cant say i have ever done one as hard before and i include the W200 in that !!. While the weather was very poor i thought overall it was an excellent spin. Good food stops and well marshalled. while the burren might be famous for its ice cream at the finish, i thought you easily top it: its the only sportive that brings you into a pub for burger and chips. brilliant touch. well done overall but next year make sure to have the weather on your side.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wilmaa

Photos are great, was it really that wet! I think 151 and 185 are cool.:)

wilmaa wrote: »
    Photos are great, was it really that wet! I think 151 and 185 are cool.:)

Yes it was that wet for the first 2 hours. After that it was only that wet when you caught in a shower:D.

Advertisement