Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl Course Advice Limerick ???

Options
  • 23-06-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I was thinking of undertaking a tefl course as I have just graduated from college.

Can anyone recommend any courses in Limerick

I have heard Celta courses are good but cant find any in Limerick?

I am interested in doing a class room course rather than an online one.

Does anyone know anything about the TEFL international courses?

There seems to be a lot of bad rumours about them on the internet saying that they are a scam

I know there one in Limerick for 1300 euro but dont know if the qualifaction is recognised

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Doubbting Thomas

I did TEFL International several years ago, not in Europe, but in Thailand.
    Had a good experience. Teachers were good; the observed student teaching went well, and they helped me find work in Bangkok right after I graduated.
    By the way, what country do you want to teach in? I don't think TEFL Int has a Limerick center anymore. If you wanted to teach, say, in Thailand, I would suggest you take the course there -- that way you're already in the country and can go to job interviews during your course, and learn about the language, customs, etc,.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mikefitztefl

Hi,

the course in Limerick is currently on-hold. However, TEFL International delivers excellent on-site courses all over the world. I know, I have helped set up many of their centers, and I have almost 20 years and trained over 1,500 teachers worldwide. I have also worked for many other well-known training institutes, and I find TEFL International much more client-friendly, innovative, trasnparent in policies and has adaptable methodologies and techniques that can be applied directluy to success in the region you are teaching in (i.e small, high-level European classes vs. large, low-level Asian classes).

You can see the feedback of any graduate posted, or read the moderation reports from any course, on their website at tefllife dot com.

Best,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Hi,

the course in Limerick is currently on-hold. However, TEFL International delivers excellent on-site courses all over the world. I know, I have helped set up many of their centers, and I have almost 20 years and trained over 1,500 teachers worldwide. I have also worked for many other well-known training institutes, and I find TEFL International much more client-friendly, innovative, trasnparent in policies and has adaptable methodologies and techniques that can be applied directluy to success in the region you are teaching in (i.e small, high-level European classes vs. large, low-level Asian classes).

You can see the feedback of any graduate posted, or read the moderation reports from any course, on their website at tefllife dot com.

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your input & the benefit of your experience.

I have seen several job postings that require "CELTA or equivalent", and I have seen a lot of schools that claim their certificate is CELTA-equivalent.

Apart from contacting potential employers directly, is there any way to verify which courses & certificates will actually be accepted?

Thanks -

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mikefitztefl

Hi Buckeye,

Well, been a couple years since I posted this, but I think I can help you out with your question. By "CELTA or equivalent", they mean a TESOL course that meets the international standards. That usually means the following:

1. Minimal 120 hours in class
    2. Minimal 6 hours of hands on, and observed teaching practice.
    3. Guided lesson planning by experienced teacher trainers.
    4. Assignments that (a) give you experience as a first-time learner in another language; (b) show you how to create and evaluate teaching materials; © gives you the chance to assess the strengths and weaknesses of a language learner; (d) tests you on the basics of English grammar and phonology.

So, this is what CELTA does, who along with IH, the British Council, etc. have the monopoly on TEFL training in the world. But that doesn't mean there are other organizations that can't train you better (and meet the "equivalent" term). Some set up by well-know American institutes (like SIT) or very smart individuals can offer a far superior course. For example, at the moment, I train with an TESOL organization called Language Corps (http://www.languagecorpsasia.com), and at the moment they actually have a superior course. It has 144 hours of training, and 24 hours of on-site observed teaching practice.

But what you don't want to do is an online course. As cheap as they are, teacher training is just that: training. You need to do it on-site with real learners, not by answering questions on a computer. Employers know that. But so long as you have a certificate that meets the above standards, it is considered "CELTA Equivalent".

Hope that helps!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

Thanks Mike -
    That helps a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

Hi Guys

I was thinking of undertaking a tefl course as I have just graduated from college.

Can anyone recommend any courses in Limerick

I have heard Celta courses are good but cant find any in Limerick?

I am interested in doing a class room course rather than an online one.

Does anyone know anything about the TEFL international courses?

There seems to be a lot of bad rumours about them on the internet saying that they are a scam

I know there one in Limerick for 1300 euro but dont know if the qualifaction is recognised

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Pery Square and UL do them.

Advertisement