Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mobile Network?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey guys,
    Im getting a new phone and thinking of switching to a new network, anyone know which is the best mobile network? And why?
    Thanks!
    Belle :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The best network depends on your usage really.

Do you want prepay or bill?
    What sort of phone are you looking to get?
    What networks do you call and text most?
    Do you need internet on your phone? If so, only a small amount or heavy usage?

You'd also need to check coverage before you go committing to another network.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

Meteor by far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bellchick

I dont really know much about Bill Pay. i suppose Prepay would be what id really go for. just which are offering the best deals? i use the internet quite a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bellchick

jurahnimoh wrote: »

why is meteor so good? x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

3 have the best prepay offer going (IMO). Top up by €20 per month and get unlimited free all network texts, unlimited free all network weekend calls and you can buy a 500mb mobile broadband add on for just €5 from your credit, should easily do a month of light browsing/Facebook stuff. Check their coverage in your area and if its good, your laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 servechilled

Would give a vote to Tesco on this one , a €20 topup will give you €40 credit with voice rates at 20c and texts at 9c coming to 10c and 4.5c when taking into account the bonus credit. Downfalls are minimum 20c charge even if you get someones voicemail and hang up straight away and lack of webtext (although this is promised)

Someone also posted here recently about emobiles deal where when you take into account the €260 bonus credit for porting then you will get 800 minutes and 800 texts a month for a little over €20. Although I gather that scheduling topups to ensure you stay on the plan are a little bit hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 18 alexboard

If you don't want to use data and need a 1990's network, they are defo in that race, for anything else they are rubbish. Read why this is the worse network in post below http://boards.ie/tre/2056415717

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

alexboard wrote: »
    This is the biggest frustration I have since I moved to 3. Was years with O2 and you take it for granted that a service you pay for just works! Cos you pay for 3G plan you expect to get it.... Not on Three!
    3G coverage is rubbish, if you want to call n text you're prob OK, but as a smartphone user, biggest mistake ever and now stuck for 24 months.
    Even in city it keeps switching to the back up voice network with extremely slow GPRS, I had never seen the blue circle on my iPhone being used so often. This is actually the Vodafone network. The Three network is 3G only (displayed as 3 3G) and everywhere when you can't get it, it automatically switches back to Vodafone (displayed as 3) through a roaming agreement they have. The thing is once it has switched, it takes 5 to 10 minutes to look again for the 3 3G network, or you have to manually re-scan!!! During your time on the virtual Vodafone 3 network, you don;t get 3G or pretty much any data at all, even the EDGE barely works.
    Absolutely rubbish, and I don't even mention Cork to Dublin train journeys or any venture outside urban jungles. I wish I could get out, if any one knows a way please post, It's killing me

Read rest of the thread http://boards.ie/tre/205641[5717/URL]

Moan, moan,moan. You did'nt even get a free sim to try out the network:rolleyes:, before foolishly committing to a 24 month contract, just to keep up with the joneses & have an iphone:eek:

Had iPhone 4 before moving to 3, and yes you do have a 14 day retract period during which I made a number of calls and complaints to them, the overall voice coverage is OK, it's the 3G which is rubbish this transpired long after the 14 days and long after a drag out of updates, tech support, phone repairs and the usual customer support hoops they have you jump through and which quickly eats into the 14 days . Might sounds like moan, but intended to be a warning for others, however if you have advice on how to get out, I d appreciate your constructive contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I have perfect 3G coverage with Three 99% of the time

• Advertisement

Seems to be a known issue on the Three network, specially with iPhones were the re-scan time is >6 minutes to save battery (not customisable). Lost of network to the back up vodafone roaming (displayed as 3 instead of 3 3G). Data and text keep going through but data is quasi non existant. Seems to be slightly better oudoors, but again who wants to stand in the rain all day to get signal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I'm with Meteor for the past ten years. I've been on a bill phone for a large part of that. My contract is due to end in the next two weeks. I want to stay on a bill, but I do not need a new smartphone.

I want to get the best amount of data and minutes per month out of @€;55. Would anybody have any knowledge of deals better than Meteor?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Heard that Meteor are unveiling new offers/plans very soon so maybe wait a few days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

3 are a total nightmare when things go wrong & they will go wrong at sometime. A trial is useless because 3 can give high download speeds one minute & no service the next.

But worst of all 3 will lie - even on Boards. They moved my local mast from an elevated spot down to sea level - but they deny this even though you can see it with your own eyes.

I have spent many hours on the phone to 3 in Mumbai over a three year period - they have never properly resolved any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Has anybody experience of Tesco's mobile network? I was in Tesco earlier today and the prices seem very competitive, better than Meteor at first glance anyway.

What's the catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Tescomobile uses the O2 network. If there's a strong O2 signal where you frequent the the Tesco one will be just as strong. Their price have also my interest as has their new paymonthly price plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Tescomobile uses the O2 network. If there's a strong O2 signal where you frequent the the Tesco one will be just as strong. Their price have also my interest as has their new paymonthly price plans.

Their data speeds are throttled though.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

Hiya,
    After 13 yrs with Esat Digifone and O2, I can't resist the price plans on offer from Tesco Mobile. Presently I'm paying €80 for 700 mins, 350 txts and 1 GB.
    I frequently exceed the 700 mins and get hammered by O2.

Tesco Mobile are offering 1000 mins, 1000 txts and 2 GB.....all for €50 incl vat. Its a SIM only plan. I'm happy with my iP4. Irresistible offer !!

Any other feedback on "throttled data speeds".

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

RnR wrote: »
    Hiya,
    Any other feedback on "throttled data speeds".
    Hi Guys

AS mentioned before our data service is capped at 1.2mbps. This is still HSDPA speeds but obviously not at the higher end.

There is no upload throttling going on outside of the overall speed cap. I need to check why speedtest shows variable upload speed results. In fact we have equivalent upload and download speed settings so it should be the same.

We plan to have remove the data speed cap next year through some major upgrade work planned.

I have to say as a very heavy data user myself I find our current data service very usable for smartphone usage and i also use it regularly for tethering for work. I get real speeds of 500-800kbps usually.

regards
    Paul

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75197108

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

jurahnimoh wrote: »
    Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Ive always been a big fan of the Vodafone Network, great speeds and always great reception.

However, with the introduction of the new "my way" plans, value for money seems to be non existent.

O2's priceplans are even worse in regards to data so my next move will be to either Meteor or Tesco Mobile

Advertisement