Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop smoking?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 6:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi

My boy friend is a regular smoker.. friends please help i want to make him to stop smoking.. pls give me some tips to make him to stop smoking... pls... Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You can't make anyone stop smoking. It's something you do yourself. Have a read of this forum and the HSE website. But don't start nagging him to quit - that won't help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Tie him to a chair. Tell him to tell you everytime he gets an urge to smoke. Everytime he does, light a cigarette and quench it on his bare feet.
    Repeat as necessary.
    After about 2 weeks he won't want a single smoke!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Tell him to find a girlfriend that doesn't want to "make" him do things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Tie him to a chair. Tell him to tell you everytime he gets an urge to smoke. Everytime he does, light a cigarette and quench it on his bare feet.
    Repeat as necessary.
    After about 2 weeks he won't want a single smoke!:D
    That won't work either. He'd just want another smoke to help deal with the pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You can't make someone stop. It's hard enough for the person themselves to stop when they really, really want to never mind when it's just someone else that wants them to quit.

Discuss it with him, but do not guilt him or demand anything of him. Read up on electronic cigarettes (my choice for quitting) and give him some info. Pitch it as something he can try in parallel with smoking (so no quit day just something different to pick up when he has the urge to smoke). Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

There is nothing you can do or say to make him stop smoking. He has to want to stop himself. Years ago, somebody who really wanted me to stop smoking, bought me the Allen Carr paperback "Easyway to Stop smoking" which was immediately shoved into the furthest corner of my bookslelves for 5 years. Then I woke up too many mornings wheezing like an aul wan and actually wanted to stop smoking. Picked up the book and read it. Read it a second time and halfway through I stopped and have never smoked again since.

You could get him the book I suppose, I know it really works for a lot of people, but only if they want to stop smoking.

Advertisement