Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking buddy required...

Options
  • 22-06-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for someone to hit the hills with as I'm useless at navigation so don't want to be bothering Mountain Rescue when I inevitably get lost. :rolleyes:

I'm also really interested in Wild Camping/site camping, so that's another option.

I also don't have transport so would be looking for someone with a motor. I'd obviously contribute to petrol costs.

I'm in Cork, so if there's anyone out there interested, give me a shout! Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your best bet is to join a hill walking club in your locality,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Yeah, I looked at hill walking clubs but they all seem so 'regimented' and I'm not really into that. Also, the thought of 10 - 20 people all walking up the same path kind of disturbs me in terms of spoiling the landscape...

Thanks for your response, though.

*BUMP*

Anyone..? :(

Check your PMs. Am out on the Reeks plenty often, but I like the 6 hour slogs with few pauses. But if you just want to get your bearings etc. so you could be confident enough to do it yourself afterwards, I don't mind giving you pointers. Sadly I am no good to you for transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

colblimp wrote: »
    Yeah, I looked at hill walking clubs but they all seem so 'regimented' and I'm not really into that.
    I'd still say joining a club offers you two advantages
    1 - they will show you the main routes onto and over the mountains
    2 - you can meet like minded people easier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

you can do a class on navagation, its very simple once you get the hang of it. I enjoy headin off for a hike with just me and the dog and take a good 5/6 hours hike, hard to find someone willing to come all the time but the dog is always up for it:D

I'm still reticent to join a club, just too regimented for my liking.

A nav. class sounds just the thing, will look into that.

Advertisement