Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Technical is the Curved Gully Route up Carrauntoohil?

Options
  • 22-06-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

How technical is the curved gully route up Carrauntoohil?

Is there any nice scrambles up that I might be unaware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Curved Gully in summer conditions isn't technical, just steep (but not particularly exposed). It's become quite loose now so in a way snow/ice is the best time to climb it; otherwise just not weekends when other climbers may be sending rocks down on top of you!

There's also Curved Gully Ridge which is a scramble/climbing route needing a rope. This is the buttress of rock to the right side of the actual gully and you probably know of of Central Gully and Central Gully Ridge?

pats87 wrote: »
    Is there any nice scrambles up that I might be unaware of?

On the Reeks or anywhere? Curved Gully is a nice scramble alright, but as Nathan said it's very loose. Was up there a couple of months back and was just showering down stuff so haven't gone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pats87

On the Reeks or anywhere?

Ya, preferably the Reeks, just cos it's my favourite playground.

Nathan, I didn't realise there was a central gully ridge route. Can you tell me more?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

There are some great scrambles and climbing routesin Denis Lynchs book, Munster's Mountains. Myself and my buddies have been working our way through it for the last two years, and have had some great days out.

It covers the Reeks, Comeraghs, Galtees and Brandon. Well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

@Pats87 It's the rocky buttress between Central Gully and O Shea's Gully. The route goes straight up this buttress, possible beginning slightly left if I remember right. It's a nice route, although loose and not piles of protection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

There are some great scrambles and climbing routesin Denis Lynchs book, Munster's Mountains. Myself and my buddies have been working our way through it for the last two years, and have had some great days out.

It covers the Reeks, Comeraghs, Galtees and Brandon. Well worth a read.

Took this out from the library recently. It's a nice find. I like the fact that it covers winter routes. And most of the scrambles you won't come across on the climbing.ie wiki.

Does anybody know where I can find a route description or topo of Primroses on Carrauntoohil?

How many pitches is it? What quantity of pitches are VS/S/VD etc.?

Perhaps there isn't one, and all you need to know is.. just climb the NE ridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Sev wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can find a route description or topo of Primroses on Carrauntoohil?

How many pitches is it? What quantity of pitches are VS/S/VD etc.?

Perhaps there isn't one, and all you need to know is.. just climb the NE ridge.

I don't know of a published topo, but yes, just climb the NE ridge.... Pitches depend on how you climb, but expect about 10, perhaps up to 13 if you avoid long run-outs... I think the grade is generally given as VS (sustained), but it's a few years since I climbed it and I've no intention of going back...

Advertisement