Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Regulations - Old / Period Homes

Options
  • 22-06-2011 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi guys, hoping somebody a lot more informed than I might be able to help out - we're renovating a 150 y/o house, no major works except for the conversion of the attic. We were hoping to put a bedroom in the attic space, but we've been informed that in order to do so we have to include a number of fire safety building regulations. We've no real problem with this - makes sense - except for one, the door closers they say we've to put throughout our house. We really really really don't want to have to add ugly metal door closers to our beautiful old doors. They would look utterly incongruous on old mahogany doors with brass knobs etc., leading into rooms with cornices, Victorian fireplaces, shutters etc. We really feel they would adversely affect the historical and architectural fabric of the house.

The house is not protected, btw, but is in an 'ACA' area (I'm not sure what the acronym stands for, but I believe it's sort of a 'pre-listing list'.

We've had this brochure thrust at us as evidence of the necessity of the door closers, but it does include this paragraph;

HOUSES OF ARCHITECTURAL / HISTORIC IMPORTANCE
    In the case of older houses, particularly those of architectural / historic importance the application of the guidance set out in TGDB (Fire Safety) on Part B of the Building Regulations will not always be appropriate; and alternative approaches to meeting the fire safety requirements of the Building Regulations will need to be considered.

My question (eventually, I hear you sigh) is has anybody any experience of these 'alternative approaches' they speak of? Do you know what they are? Do you know to whom I should address my questions in an official capacity? We're conscious of not inviting the whole town council into our home (that rarely ends well), but do want to explore every single avenue before having to accept that these clunky modern pieces of metal have to invade our lovely period home :(

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ACA means Architectural Conservation Area

One possible alternative is a sprinkler system throughout the house. You would need to get this clarified with the Fire officer, your certifier, and possibly with the LA heritage officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PBilly

Thanks sydthebeat, that's exactly what I was looking for - an alternative. I wonder do you have any idea of the rough cost of installing a sprinkler system? Even a ball-park figure? It'd just be a three bedroomed terrace house, not a mansion unfortunately :)

PBilly wrote: »
    Thanks sydthebeat, that's exactly what I was looking for - an alternative. I wonder do you have any idea of the rough cost of installing a sprinkler system? Even a ball-park figure? It'd just be a three bedroomed terrace house, not a mansion unfortunately :)

sorry pbilly, ive no idea of costs.

for a better answer perhaps contact a professional fire safety engineer. Theres a few.....google 'fire safety engineer'. The first response, 'msa', is possibly the best known.

That's great Sydthebeat, I really appreciate your help. It's a veritable minefield! Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

You could also try perko type door closers, these are a small unit fitted into the frame with a chain type pully to fixed to the door, they are quite unobtrusive but Fire officers generally don't like them as they are a bit lightweight and fail more easily than the chunky over head closers you refer to!! They may be suitable and a lot cheaper than a sprinkler system, which would be a niggtmare to put in if you ask me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

As far as I know Wales have introduced a Building Reg requiring fire sprinkler systems in domestic houses. I assume many Welsh installers could give you a competitive & accurate quote. Its only a short ferry crossing away.

Either way I'd assume door closers would be cheaper. There are many types of door closer. Its worth investigating same.

No. 6 and RKQ, many thanks indeed - I had heard about the chain-type door closers, I could probably come to terms with those alright, if the Fire Safety Officer would agree. I'll definitely look into Wales to price sprinklers if that's the direction we end up going, I hadn't realised their regulations were so extensive! Perhaps I should consider us lucky after all....! Thanks again guys / girls

personally im not a fan of those chain type as theres no way to provide a mechanism to protect against catching fingers...

at least with the "arm" type you can get ones that are set to prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Providing protection to the stairway is the most straight forward strategy, and normally is the most cost effective.

You also need to bear in mind that the fire resistance of the structure needs to achieve at least 30 minutes, which may not already be in existence.

It may be sufficient/acceptable to install an enhanced fire detection and alarm system with possibly a suppression system to the kitchen/cooking facilities and boiler area.

I haven't much experience of sprinklers, however they are expensive and you will normally be required to provide an independent storage tank. there is also an annual maintenance factor to consider and a temperature of 4deg or more is required to be maintained, otherwise the heads require replacement. There's also the factor of installation of the system.

I would certainly talk to the Fire Officer (prevention) and get their views.

Advertisement