Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent Vega, Archos 101, or ???

Options
  • 22-06-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

So i think I'm almost nearly ready to pull the trigger on a tablet. Don't have the money for an iPad or a tier 1 Honeycomb tab.

I think my options are either a Vega or Archos 101. Either way I'll be slapping a custom rom on there (like vegacomb maybe). Anyone got either of these can comment? or is there something else i should consider around the same money? (I'm thinking €200 ebay - get it delivered to my brother in Essex).

I'm particularly concerned about the touchscreen quality (don't like resistive) and overall experience. I'll be mostly watching movies and playing games when traveling - not doing that much web browsing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Have the Vega myself and fine it fine for doing what you would want to do.
    The viewing angles can be a let down but it doesn't generally bother me.
    Never used the archos but I can give a +1 for the Vega.
    Plenty of info on it over the web, xda, youtube and modaco being three good places to check.

(edit) I use Cyanogenmod 7 on it and it flies along. The Modaco 2.2 also isn't bad I just wanted GB on it.
    Haven't tested Vegacomb yet as I'm happy with Cyanogenmod.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

nice one Ste ...

hmmm i was slightly leaning towards the Vega already ... will be awfully tempted if i see a bargain over the next few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭adcrawley

I can speak from a bit of experience, have owned an archos 70 internet tablet for a few weeks and I'm now the proud owner of a vega.
    ii liked the archos, the 70 intetnet tablets have a capacitive touch screen and I had no issues with it. The kids played games on it and were happy with it.
    it used to freeze a bit, it was hard to pinpoint the cause, despite performing 2 factory resets.

The vega is some bit of kit altogether. I put a modaco rom on it the day that I got it, its never missed a beat.
    I have to say, I really love it.
    I have no intention of changing it for a good while, all I need is to get on the web and run a few android apps on it.
    the sky + app looks really cool on the 10" screen, scrolling through the channels and selecting what you wish to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Have the archos 101 but would probably go with the vega if roms are available. the archos has one rom available, the urukdroid rom. havent tried it but i would like to get cyanogenmod on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

I was one of the first to have a Vega in Ireland, and I've never looked back :) Especially now with Vegacomb, its a brilliant bit of kit. Definitely recommend the Vega over the Archos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement