Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fein

Options
  • 22-06-2011 6:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I've learned that fein is pronounced "hayne".
    If a person were speaking Irish would he/she say "Shin Hayne" for the political party then? I've never heard it said that way on the news etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

deleted; not sure if everything I wrote was 100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Newsreader Ailbhe Ó Monacháin always says "Sinn Hayne", but I have'nt noticed any others who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Is it not

Fein - fayne
    Fhein - hayne

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

I've been using "Learning Irish" and he just says it's pronounced "hayne". I've never actually seen it with an "h" as in "fhein" - I suppose there would be grammatical occasions for that?
    Anyway, seeing as it seems to be something of an exception in pronunciation ("f" alone is usually pronounced "f", isn't it?) I just wondered about Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Definetly 'hayne' in the west(i would say it this way) ,but 'fayne' would be the standard way of saying it and munster i think

I've never heard 'hayne' in Sinn Féin before though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The only time it'd be "sinn héin" (my spelling, of course) for me would be in something like: "Rinneamar é sinn héin." (Not something I'd actually say, but I imagine that somebody somewhere would.)

However, it's always always written without a séimhiú no matter which way you pronounce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Definetly 'hayne' in the west(i would say it this way) ,but 'fayne' would be the standard way of saying it and munster i think

I've never heard 'hayne' in Sinn Féin before though

Mé "hayne", tú "hayne", iad "hayne", muid "hayne" &rl.
    But sinn "fayne".

I don't think, except for referring to a political grouping, the expression sinn féin would be used in Connemara. It doesn't feel to me like an idiomatic phrase. I can't make a sentence in my head with it, except to refer to the political entity.

Sinn seems to be losing out more and more to "muid" but is still to be found in a lot of the old songs and prayers. Maybe that's because it's harder to pronounce. Usually you'll hear it pronounced as "shin" by those not realising that the second "n" has a bearing. Anyway "muid" is easier to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I try to use 'sinn' as much as possible in conversation. I did get into the habit of using 'muid' alot from visiting Belfast and Derry because people would look at me funny if I said sinn, but I'm reverting back to sinn the last few months. It has to become automatic.

Reflect a little on what féin means. It has no exact cognate in English. You cannot say simply that it means self, because it doesn't mean self in the ordinary way that speakers of British English use the word self.

The typical Irish person would say that Rinne mé sin mé féin means I did that myself. But the speaker of British English would regard that as a Hibernicism, our way of saying I did that. The use of féin in Irish or -self in Hiberno-English is to add emphasis to the pronoun. We don't say Rinne sin; we add the emphasis by adding mé féin. It's a phrase used in a particular type of context, and it's something of a nonsense to use it without such a context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

dlofnep wrote: »
    I try to use 'sinn' as much as possible in conversation. I did get into the habit of using 'muid' alot from visiting Belfast and Derry because people would look at me funny if I said sinn,

I know that "muid" is used in Connacht and, reading the above, apparently also in Belfast and Derry. Which dialect do you speak, dlofnep? Is there one that that uses 'sinn' consistently, or is it slowly passing into history books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

nbrome wrote: »
    I know that "muid" is used in Connacht and, reading the above, apparently also in Belfast and Derry. Which dialect do you speak, dlofnep? Is there one that that uses 'sinn' consistently, or is it slowly passing into history books?

Traditionally munster - but it's rare to hear it these days. I'm from munster.

In school I was never taught to use 'muid', I never knew it existed until I starting learning Irish again, we always used the synthetic form of the verb

Bhíomar - We were
    Táimid - We are
    Beimid - We will be
    muid / sinn:

Sinn is the older form and is probably predominantly used in Munster, (but known worldwide as in the party name Sinn Féin = Ourselves)
    Muid is made up of the present tense verb suffix -imid (e.g. tuigimid = we understand);
    Muid is used today more often than sinn and stems as a pronoun originally from Ulster.
    In older grammar books[ 1 ] the use of muid was very much frowned upon, but without success.
    Occassionally, muid is recommended as a subject form after analytical verb forms (e.g.: tuigeann muid thú = we understand you), sinn on the other hand to be used as the object form (e.g.: tuigeann tú sinn = you understand us). Muid appears still also as the object form.
    [ 1 ] Graiméar na Gaedhilge leis na Bráithreachaibh Críostamhla, 1906:
    in reference to muid: "On no account should this corruption be imitated by the student"

nbrome wrote: »

Sinn is still to be heard in Munster. There's an enclave in Donegal called Baile na Finne, in the centre of the county, where they still use it too!

Sinn is still to be heard in Munster. There's an enclave in Donegal called Baile na Finne, in the centre of the county, where they still use it too!

Surely Baile na Sinne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

In school I was never taught to use 'muid', I never knew it existed until I starting learning Irish again, we always used the synthetic form of the verb
    Really, how much old grammar did you use, I assume:

Do chonac na húill do bhíos ag na fearaibh.

Would be a bit extreme! Did you only use the synthetic forms for the 1 person plural?

Standard grammar, yeah only synthetic forms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Standard grammar, yeah only synthetic forms
    Cool!, so stuff like Chuireas for Chuir mé?

(Sorry, I'm a bit of a grammar geek!)

only synthetic forms in the 1st person plural

Advertisement