Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caddagh Ring need help and advice

Options
  • 22-06-2011 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hey all Im asking this cause I do not have much clue in ring and which is the best.

I really care about someone and I want to get them a claddagh ring so Im going to go to galway and get one.

Now seen a few shops selling them I dont have much clue about them at the moment I have my eye on a white gold 9ct one for around 2 price range but I was hoping to get a 14 ct silver.

but I thought white gold was harder to look after maintenance wise and my mother says that tradionation claddagh ring is gold.

I am not sure I would like to get her a sterling silver i want it too be from the heart and it too mean something really special I just want to pick the right ring and make.

Can you help ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If you're heading to Galway, my reccomendation would be the Claddagh and Celtic Jewellery shop (beside the Spanish Arch)

White gold is a tough one alright, it looks amazing at first but it loses it's shine really fast. Maintaining it is a nightmare. Personally, I steer clear of them.

A gold one starts around €64 or so for a basic gold plated one (although gold prices are really high right now)

Nothing wrong with the sterling silver ones: I have one myself. THey start from around €17 for a slender one and around €25 for a more substanstial one. They look really good so I'd reccomend one of these. If you wanted one that'd also mean something to your mother do you know what her favourite colour is? Claddagh and Celtic sell CLaddagh rings where the heart is made out of a gemstone (they cost around €30 IIRC) and can be gotten in all the usual colours (red, green, pink, yellow etc)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I highly recommend Thomas Dillon jewellers http://www.claddaghring.ie/. They're the original makers of the ring and give a life time guarantee on their rings, so if they tarnish etc they will replace them . They even have a little museum about the history of the claddagh ring.

I love mine. Just got a sterling silver one for my 21st 4 years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Better here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

For me, sterling silver is the way to go. I got one from my brothers when I was 8 and I'm now 26 and I have had absolutely no problems and the ring looks as beautiful and shiny now as it did nearly 20 years ago.

It's a beautiful gift and the sentiment behind it is lovely. I hope she appreciates all the effort you're going to! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Silver, with a piece of green Connemara marble inset. Not expensive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

thomas dillon is the best place. they take good care of you and make sure you're happy with what your picking.
    gold is the best for a cladagh ring i think. its just a warmer colour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

It depends on the taste of the person you're giving it to - I only wear silver, so while I'd appreciate the thought behind a gold ring, it wouldn't go with any of other jewellery and it wouldn't suit me.

Look at whatever colour metal she wears most often and go with that. Never mind tradition (your mother may be right, I don't know), there's no point buying someone something that will sit in a box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Look at the other jewellry this person wears and align with that i.e. if they wear silver, then choose a silver Claddagh ring.

Claddagh rings with little stones inset can be really attractive. I had a silver one with a little blood-red stone inset that I wore for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

right I think Im going to go with the peirced crown claddagh ring 9ct,

Cause you can't get 14ct shows how much I know.

White gold is too much work as for gold I really dont think she would wear gold.

Silver is classic and will last.

I will enquire about inserting a emerald gem or ruby ? not sure will i go for them going with gut feeling on this.

Only problem is typical guy does not no what sizes her hands or fingers are,.

There small is all i know but to my knowledge you can get them re sized am I right ?

I think I will go with thomas dillion since you guys recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭NomdePlume

Maybe it's important to you to get a ring specifically, but if not you can always get a Claddagh pendant -- saves having to guess a ring size, or have it resized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try to get one of her rings, and then put it on one of your fingers. It doesn't matter if it doesn't fit, you just want to have some kind of marker. When you go to the store, you can look for rings that fit to the same point on your finger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BarbiePink

Carroll's gift shop in Dublin sell a huge selection of claddagh rings! Check their website :)

Hey all I got her a ring a braclet with a red ruby and a brouch for 115euro.

And Thomas Dillion were great to deal with I have to say they were so nice and everything I asked for they did and they also gave me 5euro discount.

I emailed two other jewelers and all I can they you is that they were just rude in there emails back.

Thomas Dillions were great with 2 emails they got me what I asked for and what I collected looked amazing.

Now comes the part where I have to give them to the girl I have feelings for.

Wish me the best of luck.

Ps I really care for her.

ps extra I did catch him out abit my friend told me to make sure where the silver was made it would have a mark so on the bracelet its had marked on bought sides spain. I said to him was the bracelet silver made in spain or ireland he tried to lie his way out of it I just said to him as long as its silver Im happy.

Thank You Girls for all the advice :):)

Advertisement