Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodfordes Wherry

Options
  • 21-06-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

Just put on a wherry and was wondering if anyone has any hints /tips on brewing this kit? I've heard about stuck fermentation and trouble with clearing etc but also that this can be a fantastic ale.

So, how long should I leave it in the primary and how long does it take to condition? (I have high hopes for this one... ;) So far, its been in the primary for 4 days and its slowed down quite a bit. SG was 1050 (added 200g of dextrose) and took a reading today and its at 1020...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

So, how long should I leave it in the primary
    Until it's stopped fermenting :) Leave it a week, then during the second week take a reading every two or three days. When you've had a few identical readings together, you can bottle.
    how long does it take to condition?
    I'd go for two to three weeks.

This is true for all beers, btw, not just this kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Snake Doctor

thanks mate - I was worried after hearing about the stuck fermentation that can occur with this kit. Its slowed a lot but is still ticking over so, will leave it as you say...

2-3 weeks is what I usually do for the conditioning alright - I just have really high hopes for this one! I suppose the linger the better eh?

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I'm making this kit at the moment. Didn't bother with the extra sugar though. It started at 1.043. Think it's near ready to bottle after 13 days. I'm now at 1.013, not incredibly strong but I don't really care so long as it tastes as good as it smells!! Did you bottle yet or how much sugar do you plan to use? Think I'll use around 80gms.

I bottled the Wherry last Wednesday and I used carbonation drops (I find them dead handy if a little expensive). I know I shouldn't tough them for a t least 3-4 weeks but I'm going to 'QC' one this evening and see how it tastes! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I do the same, sample the beers at different stages, usually every week. I'm curios to see how turns out, as it's one of the kits on my list.

• Advertisement

OK - the wherry is in my hand now. Its almost clear already (after only 7 days!), good head retention and it tastes great. There is a citrus-y after taste but I'd imagine this will mellow down after longer conditioning. This is going to be fantastic in a few weeks so, I need to fight the temptation and leave it alone.....

....might just test another next week though eh? ;)

Definitely doing this one again!

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

It's gonna be tough but I'm going to try and leave it in the bottles 4 weeks before getting stuck in. I bottled mine yesterday after 2 weeks, using 90gms of sugar in twice as much water to prime. I used Nottingham yeast to ferment. Smells amazing for such an early stage. Think it's at around 4%.

Advertisement