Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilruddery House (Bray) Trail Run

Options
  • 14-06-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

I ran this race last year, it's a 10k up a mountain and back down. Registration last year was terrible, long queue on a very warm evening. People waiting around for registration started taking bottles of water which left others without at the end. The race itself started off along a path and around a field, climbing slowly. Then there was a single track part, very steep which was clogged with people walking so no chance to attempt to run it unless you were at the front. Water at the top, stunning views (once you wiped the sweat from your eyes). Then, a very steep descent over loose rocks- I only realised how steep this was once I'd started down at speed and then all I could do was pray and try to stay vertical. Back around towards the main gardens then with a last cruel climb which caught out a lot of people before a finish in front of Kilruddery House, a beautiful setting. I'm in two minds whether to run it again next Tuesday as I'm running the Clontarf HM on 3rd July. Anyone else running this 10k or any advice as to whether it's too close to the HM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

hey Almostquick,
    I signed up for this pretty much because of the timing with regards the clontarf half. Personally I think there's loads of time between the 2 races and I like to do a 10 or 5 k race the week or two before a marathon or a half marathon as the pace of the half will seem far more comfortable afterwards (or so goes my theory anyway).
    Mind you I hadn't read your course description beforehand so 12 days might not quite be long enough to heal a broken ankle from the descents you described! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I know, I know, you pay your money you take your chances, but 20 quid for short trail race :( I've love to do the route, but c'mon. I'd like to know how much of the race fee is going towards Special Olympics. They've chip timing which is completely unnecessary for a race like this. If things like that are costing money they could be done away with. 20 quid.. thats 3 imra races practically.

I know, I know, you pay your money you take your chances, but 20 quid for short trail race :( I've love to do the route, but c'mon. I'd like to know how much of the race fee is going towards Special Olympics. They've chip timing which is completely unnecessary for a race like this. If things like that are costing money they could be done away with. 20 quid.. thats 3 imra races practically.

Cant argue with you there, a mate who works for special olympics asked me to do it but you're right, it is pricey for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Cant argue with you there, a mate who works for special olympics asked me to do it but you're right, it is pricey for what it is.

Hi could anyone direct me to a web-site for entry for this ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

http://www.aliveoutside.ie/index.php?id=69&eid=113

Debating doing it. Gonna do the imra race the day after so will have to take one of them easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Anyone rock this run this evening? It was great. Managed a time of 51:35 which I was delighted with seeing as I didn't train enough.

Weather was a bit off so it spoiled the views a bit but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Post some times y'all!

Ro

:o Sorry guys, cardinal forum sin of not reading the full guidelines first. Didn't realise it was necessary to put in all the GPS stuff etc...

Delete if necessary.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

No, you're grand, that's only if you're talking about an upcoming race, and you can find all that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

This was a great race, shame about the weather, the views are pretty spectacular from the top of the hill also really enjoyed the different trails on this run it was great to get off road. Thought it was well organised. time was 42:37

Nice time!

The results are on the website now. It's the first time I have run with a chip and there are two times listed on the results spreadsheet, a finish time and a chip time, with a few seconds in between them. The chip time is slightly more flattering, but which one should one use as their actual time?

It was a shame that the first narrow rocky climb got blocked up with people a bit, although it was probably inevitable given the incline. I guess you would have had to be at the front to keep the momentum going on that part.

Some great finish times altogether, a good few sub four minute KM's, and as far as I can remember the best finish was a 41 last year (although I'm open to correction on that).

To be honest I personally was happy about the drizzle, I find it easier to run when I'm a bit cooler and the rain keeps me hydrated a bit, and it's also a welcome distraction from the heavy legs at times too ;)!

Great run though, definitely will do it again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hatcho

Did the run too and have to say really did enjoy it. Came in just under the hour which I'm happy with as I hadn't trained at all beforehand. Turned out to be much more like an IMRA run with lots of climbs and falls along the route. But great fun and some lovely scenery along the way. Good value too at only 17 euro.

Definitely interested in doing the Hell and Back run at the same venue in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Head wrote: »
    The results are on the website now. It's the first time I have run with a chip and there are two times listed on the results spreadsheet, a finish time and a chip time, with a few seconds in between them. The chip time is slightly more flattering, but which one should one use as their actual time?

The 'finish time' is the gun time - the difference between the race starting and you crossing the finish line. This is the official time, used for awarding prizes etc.

But... you probably didn't start the race in the front row, which means there was a gap between the race starting and you crossing the start line. 'Chip time' is the time it took you to cover the distance between the start line and the finish line. That's what most people use as their actual time.

Did the race last night, and apart from going arse over tit coming down that ridiculously steep section I really enjoyed the course and indeed the night. Weather did spoil matters somewhat as the views weren't what they should be and some parts of the trail were pretty slippy (note to self, must get trail runners).

The course was very tough no question. So much so that I was cursing myself for entering so close after the wicklow way, well I was only cursing myself really from that single lane climb part!!

Came in in 43:xx, which I'd be very happy with after a bad fall in a race except for the question about whether or not we can call it a 10k!! Was anyone else registering it at about 9.2k???

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I am open to correction here but some GPS units do not account for climbs and falls and only measure your distance as if you are running on the flat.

Think of the triangle here, you are going from A to C as the GPS sees it but the actual path you take is A to B to C!

Great night by the way (50:59).

Wally Runs wrote: »
    I am open to correction here but some GPS units do not account for climbs and falls and only measure your distance as if you are running on the flat.

Think of the triangle here, you are going from A to C as the GPS sees it but the actual path you take is A to B to C!

Great night by the way (50:59).

A good point, I hadn't thought about that at all to be honest, you could well be right on this, cheers.

Edit. - Ha, I responded and then went back to have a look thinking you had some pics of last night. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a picture of a triangle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

Diggy78 wrote: »
    hey Almostquick,
    I signed up for this pretty much because of the timing with regards the clontarf half. Personally I think there's loads of time between the 2 races and I like to do a 10 or 5 k race the week or two before a marathon or a half marathon as the pace of the half will seem far more comfortable afterwards (or so goes my theory anyway).
    Mind you I hadn't read your course description beforehand so 12 days might not quite be long enough to heal a broken ankle from the descents you described! :D
    Hi Diggy78, did you run it, how did it go? I was away so couldn't have made it anyway. Hear the weather was poor, it was a scorcher last year.

Advertisement