Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contour USB blood sugar meeting

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Any other diabetics tried this one out?

http://www.bayercontourusb.ie/

Came across it when digging around a few forums. Looks interesting - I like the idea of just plugging into the laptop to pull down readings. I have a USB cable for my meter at the moment (optium xceed) and it works well for me.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried it.

Wasn't sure if this should go in the general chat thread. If I'm wrong please move....

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A few people on the forum have it as far as I know, I have two. Anything in particular you would like to know about it (I prefer it to my old optium meter).

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

CramCycle wrote: »
    A few people on the forum have it as far as I know, I have two. Anything in particular you would like to know about it (I prefer it to my old optium meter).

Just wondering what the generaly usage is like. The form factor is quite different to any I 've used before - is it awkward?

Any thoughts on the mangement software would also be welcome. I'm not looking for a crazy amount of detail but just enough to see trends, etc when I plug it into the pc would be welcome.

One final thing - where did you get it from? Am I best just ordering it direct from Bayer?

Thanks for the response!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ElBarco wrote: »
    Just wondering what the generaly usage is like. The form factor is quite different to any I 've used before - is it awkward?

Not really. Plug in the USB and it installs the software, you have to set up what you think are reasonable parameters (for color coding of charts) but the pre sets are good enough for most. After this everytime you plug it in to charge it will download your results and the graphs/trends are easily accessible. It doesn't have to be charged that often either in case that is a worry for you. I set up my own excel file to graph my results as I use to do this with my old meter (too much free time in work) but the graphs they use are easy to follow, I'm just used to mine.
    Any thoughts on the mangement software would also be welcome. I'm not looking for a crazy amount of detail but just enough to see trends, etc when I plug it into the pc would be welcome.

ContourUSB-2.jpg

This is what the main chart looks like, you can change the measurements to mmol/L if you want (probably).

You can also set it up like a log book and it has handy pre/post meal settings as well to get an idea on how your diet/insulin regime is working:

ContourUSB-3.jpg
    One final thing - where did you get it from? Am I best just ordering it direct from Bayer?

Thats what I did, cost a little under 30euro direct to my door, they also send you other stuff but I never read through any of it. You can get it through your LTI but I couldn't be bothered waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Put "bayer contour usb site:diabetessupport.co.uk" into a google search box to get a few user experiences

I think that from time to time Bayer run a promo on the unit

Thanks folks. Very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

The software looks remarkably similar to the ACCU-CHEK 360 software - exactly the same reports available and almost the same layout and formatting even! I'd guess both Bayer and Accu-Chek probably outsource the development of the reporting software.

I got an Optimum Aviva Expert a while ago and although you have to connect it via a infrared reader to get the data onto the laptop, you'll only need to do this every few weeks as the monitor itself has a full colour screen with mini versions of all the reports available directly on the device itself which I find great. The drawback is that the monitor is kind of chunky - needs big batteries for the colour screen. The Bayer looks much neater.

Anyway - in this day and age we shouldn't need to physically connect the monitor to anything... ideally the monitor should auto-upload the data to a cloud service where it can be accessed from anywhere by anyone with the correct access (you, your GP, your Diabetes nurse, etc.). There are a number of iPhone apps which do this well, but of course you have to manually enter the readings. How long before some sort of monitor which has built-in WIFI connectivity ? Or a monitor which pairs (via bluetooth) to your iPhone/Smartphone and uses its data connection to auto-upload the readings? Or maybe such a device exists already???

I did have a look at that one alright. To be honest the infra red dongle just looks like a pain. The one I'm using at the minute is just a USB interface that plugs into the strip reciever on the unit. The contour is appealing as it has the software built in and no cable to worry about so I could use it on any of the PCs I use.

I'm not a big fan of the whole sharing info via the cloud. I'm not big into putting every aspect of my healthcare onto a privately run site running who knows where and for who knows what purpose. Maybe I'm just paranoid though.

I agree we do have the technology to allow for wireless updating of smart phones. I can imagine a few legal people in manufacturers HQs heads exploding at the thought of medical data being linked with devices they don't control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Have one myself :D Can't remember how ya turn the light on on it....... Anyone? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mak78

ElBarco wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the whole sharing info via the cloud. I'm not big into putting every aspect of my healthcare onto a privately run site running who knows where and for who knows what purpose. Maybe I'm just paranoid though.

I agree we do have the technology to allow for wireless updating of smart phones. I can imagine a few legal people in manufacturers HQs heads exploding at the thought of medical data being linked with devices they don't control.

We'll the cloud approach can be applied but confined to private use - for example whats stopping the HSE implementing a web based application , securely hosted on their IT infrastructure, where patients can securely upload to their own account using a simple HTTPS interface, and have the info stored and available to the relevant people all the time. I'm sure it would be much more efficient method of sharing info. I've experienced a number of instances where the clinic couldn't open excel files with my bg data in them because they didn't have correct version of excel and so on - leading to countless over and back via email.

As regards to the manufacturers legal concerns over the data - well its my data , not theirs. My bg numbers are mine to share with whoever I want, their monitors are just a method of generating the number. What gives them the right to restrict how I use my data?

In diabetes care as you know the more information the better - making the information easily available, accessible, shareable and understandable will only benefit patients

mak78 wrote: »
    We'll the cloud approach can be applied but confined to private use - for example whats stopping the HSE implementing a web based application , securely hosted on their IT infrastructure, where patients can securely upload to their own account using a simple HTTPS interface, and have the info stored and available to the relevant people all the time. I'm sure it would be much more efficient method of sharing info. I've experienced a number of instances where the clinic couldn't open excel files with my bg data in them because they didn't have correct version of excel and so on - leading to countless over and back via email.

Agreed. I think that would be ideal. Can't see it happening in the near future though. I try and skirt the file issue by putting everything onto either my laptop or smart phone and bringing it along. If I need to email I just grab a screenshot.

Until that happens I'll avoid using the sites that offer hosted syncing. Just can't get comfortable with the idea.
    As regards to the manufacturers legal concerns over the data - well its my data , not theirs. My bg numbers are mine to share with whoever I want, their monitors are just a method of generating the number. What gives them the right to restrict how I use my data?

I'd imagine it wouldn't take too long before someone fecks up the syncing to their iphone, bases a treatment decision on it, has a nasty low/high and then decides someone is to blame. Perhaps I have a low expectation of either the legal profession or general public (or both).
    In diabetes care as you know the more information the better - making the information easily available, accessible, shareable and understandable will only benefit patients

The more people know the more they can do. Can't disagree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Berns wrote: »
    Have one myself :D Can't remember how ya turn the light on on it....... Anyone? :p[/QUOTE

with the unit turned off..

press the on /off button on the side TWICE but leave a second of a gap between presses !

same again to turn off

Advertisement