Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with Teaching Council subject requirements please!!

Options
  • 21-06-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi! I would really appeciate some help here..:confused:

I'm a newly qualified teacher and I'm just waiting for my teaching council registration to come through. However, I'm not entirely sure what my status is regards my subjects.
    I did a B.A. and my subjects were:
    1st Year: History, English, Archaeology, Greek and Roman Civilisation
    2nd Year: History (40 credits) English (20 credits)
    3rd Year: Same as 2nd Year.

I know that History is fine to Leaving Cert, but what about English? What level can I teach that to? I know it's a bit late but the college didn't make it clear and I have no idea what the Teaching Council mean on their website!!
    Thanks for any help!!!!!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

you will be fine for eng as you have a degree in it....get yourself reg. as a teacher and dont worry too much about what tc says...principals dont care too much about tc...the main thing is that you are registered and screwed for 90 euro every year for the rest of yout career

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

mick kk wrote: »
    you will be fine for eng as you have a degree in it....get yourself reg. as a teacher and dont worry too much about what tc says...principals dont care too much about tc...the main thing is that you are registered and screwed for 90 euro every year for the rest of yout career

VECs do,
    You must be properly qualified and registered to apply for a job now.
    2 long-term subs in our school lost their hours this year because of registration issues.

Things have changed and are tightening up across all second level sectors..

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Molly22 wrote: »

I'm a newly qualified teacher and I'm just waiting for my teaching council registration to come through. However, I'm not entirely sure what my status is regards my subjects.

I know that History is fine to Leaving Cert, but what about English? What level can I teach that to? I know it's a bit late but the college didn't make it clear and I have no idea what the Teaching Council mean on their website!!

You need to have amassed 54 ECTS in that subject over the course of three years. So from 2nd and 3rd year you have 40 credits, so if you did 15 or more credits in 1st year you meet the requirements and will be recognised. They also mention that you need to have studied a range of literary forms, they may need clarification on this. As your degree is major/minor they may want to see which modules you chose for English to ensure you studied a satisfactory range of modules/topics.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Molly22 wrote: »

Well if you have a shortfall the TC will tell you what it is and the nature of 'top-up' you needed, here's hoping you'll be fine.

FYI, in future no one can apply for the PGDE through the PAC without a letter from the TC confirming that their degree meets the subject content requirements. I think there have been cases of people seeking Reg after the PGDE and found to have a degree that does not meet the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Molly22

You need to have amassed 54 ECTS in that subject over the course of three years. So from 2nd and 3rd year you have 40 credits, so if you did 15 or more credits in 1st year you meet the requirements and will be recognised. They also mention that you need to have studied a range of literary forms, they may need clarification on this. As your degree is major/minor they may want to see which modules you chose for English to ensure you studied a satisfactory range of modules/topics.

Hope that helps
    That's very helpful thanks! By my calculations I've done enough credits which is a relief to know! Thanks for your help!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Molly22

mimmi wrote: »
    Well if you have a shortfall the TC will tell you what it is and the nature of 'top-up' you needed, here's hoping you'll be fine.

FYI, in future no one can apply for the PGDE through the PAC without a letter from the TC confirming that their degree meets the subject content requirements. I think there have been cases of people seeking Reg after the PGDE and found to have a degree that does not meet the requirements.
    It's about time they did that! So many people have been left confused this year in my course and have found out towards the end of the year that they don't meet the requirements. I know it's their responsibility to find out, but it's confusing enough. Thanks for help!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

hi all I really need help with this matter :
    I have a degree and a teaching qualification from eu , recognized by the teaching council (after two years of sending paper work and completion of short falls which cost € 5000 ) , my overall results are over 85% for the teaching qualification and 80% for my degree. The teaching council recognized my degree as a pass as it is from outside Ireland and the irish grades do not apply, this is what they said, is this real?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

spring21 wrote: »
    hi all I really need help with this matter :
    I have a degree and a teaching qualification from eu , recognized by the teaching council (after two years of sending paper work and completion of short falls which cost € 5000 ) , my overall results are over 85% for the teaching qualification and 80% for my degree. The teaching council recognized my degree as a pass as it is from outside Ireland and the irish grades do not apply, this is what they said, is this real?

There is a system of qualifications (see the link) which includes 'pass' degrees at Level 7, Honours degrees at Level 8, Master's at Level 9 and so on, which is probably informing what the TC is telling you.

It is not your marks -which are utterly mind-blowing by my standards anyway (if I got over 70 per cent I'd think I was great) - that is the problem. It is probably the nature of the qualification or at least how the TC views it. I imagine you would be able to do add-on qualifications to bring your degree up to a Level 8 standard. If is odd that you had to do work to deal with shortfalls to bring it up to pass standard and odder still that the nature of the qualification was not made clearer earlier by the TC.

http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

my degree is a 4 yrs full time and the national authority graded as a level 8, this is what is confusing me how come the TC did recognized as a 4 yrs full time + the HD but graded as "pass"

Advertisement