Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Funny Books

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Next month is my turn to choose the book for my book club - we have done a lot of serious books. In fact all bar one has been serious and the one that wasnt serious was a bit rubbish (not funny, but fantasy).

I was thinking of choosing a Ben Elton Book cos I love his humour - Blind Faith is a great one, but I have read all of his books and is that cheating a bit?

Also I know it is bad but any book chosen can't be too long. Anything over 400 pages and half the club tend to not be able to finish it unless it is a very easy read.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

You could try Terry Pratchett or Spike Milligan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭RichT

Funny, short and easy to read = PG Wodehouse. 'Thank you Jeeves' The first in the Jeeves and Wooster series....263 pages of fun.

I too like Ben Elton, thought Dead Famous was hilarious.

Bill Bryson is always good for a few chuckles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

If graphic novels are allowed, I recently enjoyed Julia Wertz's Drinking at the Movies. Funny autobiographical story about her first year living in New York.

I'm also reading Justin Halpern's Sh*t My Dad Says at the moment, it's light, but very funny. Can see examples of his writing on his blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Julian Gough; Jude, Level 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Douglas Adams - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

David Nicholls - Starter for Ten

Sophie Kinsella - Twenties Girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

+1 for Bill Bryson - his books usually make me snort laughing, especially 'Down Under'.

For some reason, books by comedians generally do nothing for me. I think they're very much a love them/hate them genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Tom Sharp, either Riotous Assembly or Indecent Exposure.
    Hugh Leonard - Home Before Night
    Pretty much anything by Terry Pratchett or PG Wodehouse.
    Puckoon - Spike Milligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Robert Rankin is very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Thanks everyone, some good suggestions there. Still not sure what to go for but gonna check out each of the suggestions here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

chasmcb wrote: »
    Julian Gough; Jude, Level 1

Hilarious book. Touch of the Flann O'Brien about it. Bit of a wait for Level 2 though.

The various adventures of Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser are funny. What a boorish cad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

You could try Alan Bennett ... The Uncommon Reader I thought was very funny about the Queen visiting tha travelling library. Or his current one Smut is also pretty amusing if somewhat 'smutty'. Both are short reads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Bill Bryson is entertaining and so amusing. Pure fun.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Neither Here, Nor There: Travels in Europe by Bill Bryson
    Down Under by Bill Bryson

Loved these two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I implore you to choose A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka.

It's hilarious. I guarantee everyone will like it. It's moderately sized too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I implore you to choose A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka.

It's hilarious. I guarantee everyone will like it. It's moderately sized too.

How did I forget that one ... brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Difficult Times

Douglas Adams - The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

David Nicholls - Starter for Ten

Sophie Kinsella - Twenties Girl

I loved Douglas Adams (RIP), I laughed so hard reading one of his books on a bus in London, that I was a holy show. But, he is an acquired taste, some folk wouldn't "get it".

My Dad (who loved The Life of Brian), didn't "get" Douglas Adams at all, whereas, I have all his books, Dirk Gently (if you like weird/funny) is well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Would recommend Mike Gayle's books-Turning 30, His'n' Hers, Mr. Commitment.....to name just a few. Read them a few years ago but instantly came to mind when I saw thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It might be a bit too surreal, but for dark humour you could try The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Sergeant wrote: »
    The various adventures of Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser are funny. What a boorish cad.

Ive never met you but from that comment alone i know youre a legend :D

Flashman is one of the most amazing series ive ever read, pure hilarity against thoroughly researched historical episodes.

+1 on Jeeves too, fantastic.

I always found Catch 22 hilarious too but im not sure if thats what youre going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Everything by Nick Hornby is funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is a work of genius, and probably one of the funniest books you'll ever have the pleasure of reading. Ignatius J. Reilly is a character for the ages, he's an extraordinary slob with a passion for Boethius and hotdogs. He also has issues with his pyloric valve...I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

It's perfect for a book club as it's one of those books you love to talk about with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is a work of genius, and probably one of the funniest books you'll ever have the pleasure of reading.

Ive actually always thought about picking it up but never gotten around to it. I take it you recommend it so? :pac: Must have a look around for a cheap copy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole...
    A brilliant, mad, hilarious book - thanks to the posters of this forum for introducing me to it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

The Matchmaker of Perigord by Julia Stuart

I had it on audio book in the car and it made me laugh out loud and drive around for a few extra miles just to hear a bit more. An easy read tale of a discontented Barber and his foray into Matchmaking that yielded some really funny results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Very dark, very disturbing and very graphic humour (defo not for those of faint heart, weak stomach or those who are easily offended) humour is to be found in Irvine Welsh's Filth. This book is not for everyone, but I personally found it to be one of the funniest books I've ever read and often re-read it from random points, assured of finding funny passages no matter where...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 keitholly

I would suggest the Ross O Carrol Kelly. Its part of a collection of about 6 or 7 books but they are all terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Porrohman

I had never heard of Flashman until I saw this thread but I bought the first two books in the series and they are brilliant. It’s unusual for a book to make me laugh out loud but these are hilarious. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. Thanks to Sergeant & dr gonzo for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

tom sharpe had me cracked up with indecent exposure and riotous assembly, I see they've been mentioned, absolute ROFL stuff.

I found Confederacy of Dunces very very boring. it was like reading a 400 page in-joke that everybody was in on but you.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

Any of the "Lucia" books by E. F. Benson.

My favourite is Mapp and Lucia. I laughed out loud. A great send-up of snobby 1920s/30s middle-class society. Very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

Solar by Ian McEwan is great.

Advertisement