Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Told not to come in today

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Okay so my girlfriend has been working in a crèche for the past year. We are both moving to the USA and she has handed in her notice, giving well over the 30 day notice (to be nice and against my judgement!) and so finishes up at the end of the month.

All was fine for the first few weeks, but now her 'replacement' has arrived last week and she has been moved from her room & kids to the baby room which is upsetting for her kids as they cant see her anymore and for her also. But fair enough if that's what the boss wants to do.

Anyway today she was asked (about an hour before leaving) not to come in as there were no babies in. She was told to take a holiday!

Now my question is can she argue this? She didn't want to take the holiday (as frankly she was hoping some of the holiday pay she's due would go to the flight).

In her contract it states 22.5 hours per week which she wont have worked now.

From what I've been hearing from her and her co workers, the boss is a bit of a tyrant and it doesn't surprise me that she might mess her around in this way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

It's an employer's decision as to when annual leave can be taken, but the employer has to give the employee one month's notice of when they have to take their holidays. Your girlfriend cannot have these holidays foisted on her like this.

Have a look here in the Taking Annual Leave section:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/annual_leave_public_holidays.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

It sounds like the boss is wide to the plan to work all the notice and take the holiday pay in lieu of the holiday time off.

It mightn't be fair (or legal, I don't know), but the boss in this case has obviously determined that she is not going to be finding herself in a situation whereby she is paying out money in lieu of holidays that were not taken.

The legal situation seems to have been clarified by the poster above, but as for enforcing these rights, I'm not too sure what the possibilties might be for that to happen in the short term...

Advertisement