Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating & Fishing ! - Prawn 3 ways

Options
  • 21-06-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭

Having some great Tench success with a new homemade groundbait mix this year & thought I'd share.

I start with two 350g packs of fresh shell-on coldwater prawn from Tesco - they're €4 for two packs, so great value.

Peel the prawns and set the shells aside - take a wide pan such as a frying pan & add a small nob of butter (butter seems to help the final paste consistency) - heat this up and add the shells, heads etc (but not the prawns) & cook for 5 minutes, keep stirring. This releases a load of flavour. Then add 1ltr of water & let this simmer for 30 mins.

At the end of the 30 mins, bung the whole lot into a food processor & whizz it till its as smooth as it will go. Use a fine sieve & separate the shell remnants from the liquid. If you use the back of a ladle to press against the sieve you end up with a paste of concentrated prawn shells (see attached pic).

I mix the shell paste with either white or brown crumb - you can add a touch of molasses to help bind, but not too much as it kills the prawn flavour.

Ive used it four times so far this year on a peg I'd know well & my catch rate has hugely improved this year. I normally fish with sweetcorn, worm or prawn hookbait.

As for what's left, well the liquid that's passed through the sieve has actually become a gorgeous thick Prawn Bisque (impressive huh) & you still have the prawns themselves - not a bad days work for €4 ! - a few garlic croutons in the bisque & a jar of green or red curry paste with the prawns & your fishing passport gets immediately stamped ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Id stick that on the sambos.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Id stick that on the sambos.:D

I was waiting for the punch line too such as "enjoy your fried prawns with a nice white wine and give the fishing a rest for awhile" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Neanderthals the lot of ya :D

Advertisement