Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REVIEW] AWS Raptor Mosfet

Options
  • 21-06-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Finally after 4 months of waiting these were sitting in the postbox for me after Rionegro :D unfortunately this review won't have any pictures until I can find my camera.

These little beauties cost me $181 including express (ie. Four month:rolleyes:) shipping. It sounds steep, but these mosfets are a completely internal system, handy when you have no room for the likes of the Extreme Fire Cheetah mosfet.

The mosfets come with an extended cutoff spring, female deans connector, heatshrink and of course the mosfet (which itself comes in two parts). Assembly of the fet is a snap, just push the vertical trigger board onto the control board and it's ready for installation.

Installation was a bit trickier, but could have something to do with my setup.
    The raptor is installed in a modify torus reinforced gearbox, which required dremelling behind the trigger to allow it to reach the mosfets switch. The cable channels also needed dremelling to fit the extra cable in. Finally the selector plate needs to be modified by dremelling about 5mm off it (along the same lines as the ASCU mosfet). After the above modifications the raptor fet and extended selector spring drop right in a replace their counterparts.

Performance wise I'm not happy :( The reason I picked up these mosfets was for their burst settings...which don't seem to work at the moment. I've emailed Frank from AWS, but I'm awaiting a reply at the moment. I'll update this review with the solution.

Other than that issue the raptor fet is a great performer. Active breaking is working nicely, even with precocking on semi. It also provided a nice jump of 10rps in my setup. Overall I'm quite happy and if the burst issue can be rectified I'll be quite happy to recommend these to anybody.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

Cheer's for writing the review mate. Looking forward to see if they sort the issue for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

An update to the above!

It appears the burst functions not working was due to my own stupidity :rolleyes:
    Also let me clarify the waiting time regarding the order :) the Raptors were not available when I originally placed my order. As soon as the Raptor was released mine was sent very quickly :)

Overall now I'm extremely happy with the AWS Raptor System. Its currently sitting in my G&P MOE (wired to the stock tube [I can finally squeeze a battery in]) and will be playtested on Saturday. Expect an update ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

How'd you end up paying 181$ on it? it costs 90$?

for two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭General Grobel

Any chance you'd want to give me one to 'review'? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Any chance you'd want to give me one to 'review'? :D

too late :D it's mine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭floppyjoe

lperrozzi wrote: »
    Its currently sitting in my G&P MOE (wired to the stock tube ;)

I have a G&P MOE and I was looking to buy one of these. Did you have to do any extra work to fit it into the G&P gearbox? where is the best place to purchase one?

No, no extra work, the selector plate has to be modified in order to allow the raptor work correctly. AWS have ceased direct sales so you'll have to find a reseller unfortunately.

Right so it's time to update this review :D

I just got around to installing the latest version of the AWS Raptor mosfet (v2hc-x120) that I got from HobbyAirsoft (at last we have an Irish supplier :p) for €100 including free shipping.

AWS have refined the design making the install much smoother, actually got mine setup first time without any modifications which was a relief :). They've switched to a thinner gauge Teflon coated wire, making it easier to channel all the cabling properly and also extended it further back (no need to solder extensions together for it anymore).

My only gripe is that they've switched from deans style connectors to tamiya, not a massive problem but given the part of the market AWS seem to aim for its a strange move :confused:.

All in all I'd happily recommend them to anyone looking for good mosfet, a definite must buy!

cool think I'll have to get one off them. stick it in my G&P.

have you any experience with the ascu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

@Floppyjoe, have one in my G&P Magpul M4 and it rocks. Mosfet is built into the trigger unit so there is no extra room taken up in the buffer tube if rear wired. It's a great bit of kit. Had a version 2 ASCU before that and it stopped working after a couple of days. Emailed the retailer and also Airsoft Systems themselves and no reply from either. The ASCU is a sweet unit when working although if rear wired into the buffer tube it takes up quite a bit of space in there. Personally, won't be going back to an ASCU anytime soon.

Ye mine is wired to buffer tube. You have me sold. Just ordered it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

ohh tempted to stick one in my m4....100e is alot i guess i wont be paying my household charge!

Fitted mine on Friday and field tested Sunday. Trigger response is amazing and the 3 round burst works really well. Rof was improved as well. Great upgrade. Would recommend to anyone. Soldered on deans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

fitted mine today,no complaints shooting is very crisp and trigger response is amazing,so far im very pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Has anyone fitted one in a kwa without and issues?.

Read on some forums that it needs some mod to the cut off lever as well as the normal selector plate mod.

As many have probably noticed, the AWS Raptor and all related models have been discontinued. If anyone is looking for one, now would be the time to buy :)

If you fancy a wait though, check out the Black Talon Chimera (from the creator of the Raptor). V2, V3, V7 and Masada type versions are rumored to be released this year :D

I have a spare one that I am looking to get a new micro selector switch for. might send them an e-mail.

aws may have gone bust but they where still kind enough to ship me a whole new unit.

Advertisement