Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elves - once walked with gods

Options
  • 21-06-2011 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Anyone read this yet? Just started. Very so-so 101 pages in, not really fantasy and I'm feeling very dull reading it. Civil war with elves.. Hardly Tolkien-esqe , which I thought it night be when I bought it.

And it's sooooo true...never judge a book.... (especially when it's ultra cool looking IMO )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Barclay is someone I've wanted to get into but just haven't had the chance to yet. I've heard mostly good things about him though.

I wonder at your description of Elvish civil war not being Tolkein-esque though, since thats one of the central themes of The Silmarillion?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Oops, I should state I never read that and wasn't aware. Thanks for the correction!! I suppose in wider sense all elves are wise, settled beings. In this book, there are just unwise human-like and emotional.

Thanks Blaas. I'm still reading it, not the worst. Roftkus (sp?) In The Wind was worst I ever read.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm assuming that you don't mean Patrick Rothfuss and The Name of the Wind? Because that book is excellent and rightly regarded as one of the best fantasy debuts ever.

As to James Barclay, I've read one of his books and found it quite derivative, filled with tiresome battle descriptions.

I'm assuming that you don't mean Patrick Rothfuss and The Name of the Wind? Because that book is excellent and rightly regarded as one of the best fantasy debuts ever.

As to James Barclay, I've read one of his books and found it quite derivative, filled with tiresome battle descriptions.

Rothfuss, that's the one! Thanks!!

I read it but sweet gods of olympus....I could not get into it, depressing story, replete with repetition & suffering, repetition & suffering. Oops...do I need a spoiler alert there? ;)

Long story, somewhat interesting but I found it painful at times. As result, have no intentions following up the 2nd one that came out... I'm betting it has suffering & repetition in it, all things foiled at last minute and the like.

Nothing like Fionivar Tapestry or Gardens of the moon series (Erikson?). Or RR Martin for that matter. all of which I followed with eager anticipation

• Advertisement

Surion wrote: »
    Rothfuss, that's the one! Thanks!!

I read it but sweet gods of olympus....I could not get into it, depressing story, replete with repetition & suffering, repetition & suffering. Oops...do I need a spoiler alert there? ;)
    I definitely didn't find it all that downbeat. GRRM's series is far darker and other series like "Prince of Nothing" are much bleaker. It's a very different type of novel though as it's a first-person recollection, whereas GRRM and Erikson are large scale epics featuring immense casts. I've found each offer me something very different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I rather liked "The Iron Elves" series by Ch r i s Eva n s, Tolkein meets Rifleman Sharpe.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Manach wrote: »
    I rather liked "The Iron Elves" series by Ch r i s Eva n s, Tolkein meets Rifleman Sharpe.

Not really sure that that is a great selling point (Says the gut who loves both Sharpe and LOTR!) I like my fantasy and historical fiction on a separate shelf thanks you!!!!

Have 'In the Name of The Wind' in my must read sometime box......

Ok, I finished ELVES last week, and I should probably retract 'some' of what I said. Actually from about half way through I started to race through the book. Short chapters kept me hooked, and overall this was a much better read than I said in the OP.

I'll definitely buy the next installment when it's out. Not grrm, but written in a different vain....and quite enjoyable! Sorry for down grading it so much!
    :o

Advertisement