Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greetings

Options
  • 21-06-2011 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

Im an 18 year old gamer and I am interested in getting into the irish fighting game scene. Specifically SSF4, Ive only played a few times and im not very good but I really like it and I am planning on improving. Also im thinking of attending @rcadecon this year and entering the street fighter tournament. Never been to a con before so looking forward to that.

Any tips or anything I should know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get plenty of sleep before any event.
    And shower beforehand, too. ;)

Other than that, practice helps, but dip your toes into the competitive fighting pool as soon as you can.
    This helps you to know where your level is at; whether you want to continue; and gets you used to competition.

Also, we're all nice (honest!), and most of our best players weren't even "in" until after a year of tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Try and get to as many casuals as you can after the tournament. Also everything kiki has said is true everybody is dead cool and helpful.
    The most important thing ive learned was to ask my opponent how he beat me.
    You learn so much more from playing other people than all the combo vids and frame data in the world could ever teach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The best tip I can give you is this: Show up.

You wouldn't believe the amount of people who I've come across who play the games, live in the area, have a customised arcade sticks etc etc and still won't come to our events. but will stay up til 6 in the morning watching american streams.

Just come, it's fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dijawitu

Thanks for the advice! I will keep that stuff in mind xD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Yeah, definitely agree with all the guys here. Come to casuals. Topics about them are posted pretty regularly.

Casuals are where you learn, and everyone is very knowledgable, friendly and willing to teach.

You may also get a basic crash course in another Fighting game that you might discover you really like.

If you're coming to casuals though be sure to bring your own controller, and maybe a copy of the game you plan on playing to guarantee you can play if someone else shows up. The XGC just has regular consoles with some default controllers, no fighting games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement