Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor/ bushcraft cooking lesson

Options
  • 20-06-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any courses / events run in Ireland about cooking / eating in the wild? I'm looking for some kind of bushcraft food course that shows you how to steam fish on a fire, make a fuacht fia, use wild herbs and that kind of stuff. I'm just looking for a course related to the food end of bushcraft rather than a whole wilderness survival course. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Talk to Kieran from the GreatOutdoors. He is starting something like this.
    You can find the number at www.GreatOutdoor.ie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

IPNA wrote: »
    Talk to Kieran from the GreatOutdoors. He is starting something like this.
    You can find the number at www.GreatOutdoor.ie.

I'm assuming you mean http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Timfy

Could also try Mac Tire Bushcraft. I believe that he can put together bespoke courses.

(I have no connection with this company)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

WaterWolf wrote: »
    Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any courses / events run in Ireland about cooking / eating in the wild? I'm looking for some kind of bushcraft food course that shows you how to steam fish on a fire, make a fuacht fia, use wild herbs and that kind of stuff. I'm just looking for a course related to the food end of bushcraft rather than a whole wilderness survival course. Any ideas?

This, I have always wanted to try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 featherstick

This is my primary interest in Bushcraft too. I've started to run foraging classes in Offaly recently . I learnt primitive cooking techniques on a few courses run by Ray Mears' company Woodlore and it was he that taught me how to panass (sp) fish. I've started a blog on WIld foods too - it's very new but it may be helpful to you if you're interested in foraging. I'll be moving onto more unusual plants and backcountry cooking here in the next little while. http://nibblingonnature.blogspot.com/
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Wild Live has a course on 'Wild Edibles' up in county Down, but they don't seem to have any of them scheduled at the moment. I might send them a mail and see what the story is:

http://www.wild-live.org/courses/courses/01.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Hi lads, Is there a club or a group doing bushcraft outings .Would love to get out there with like minded people.Doing Teardrop Trailer camping at the moment and walk a lot ,I run a wilderness weekend once a year for the caravan club and they love it ,let me know if anyone want to start a club or I could join one already running .Thanks , Irishtear.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Have a look at the Irish Bushcraft Club.

Thanks IPNA, But not much going on there,tried the e-mail.and boards .Have had no responce so far .Are they still active ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

irishtear wrote: »
    Thanks IPNA, But not much going on there,tried the e-mail.and boards .Have had no responce so far .Are they still active ?:)

Hi irishtear, the Irish Bushcraft Club are active and meet once a month at least. We have a thread running on here for the last few years, maybe you have seen it already, if not check it out and see if what we do is what you are looking for. If you have emailed the club then you will get a reply. If not then pm me here and I will fill you in on how we arrange meets.

Andrew

• Advertisement

Hi ,Just wondering did waterwolf get going and if you did ,can you fill me in .Looking for the same type of thing.:) Thanks Irishtear.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

irishtear wrote: »

As per preachermans post check this out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315103&page=14
    let us know if you don't get a reply on the website and we can help
    Cheers
    hick

Advertisement