Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suit for wedding

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

So my da's getting married in November and I've never had a suit so I reckon I'm going to pick one up over the next while. I'm just looking for recommendations on good places to go in Dublin and what to look out for when buying a suit. I'm gonna have about 300 quid to spend on it, will that get me something decent?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭thefa

Had to get my first back in October. It's all about getting the fit right which any decent attendant should be able to get you sorted with. Since it's your first suit too you might want to veer towards some versatile colour if you plan on getting the best use out of it. Charcoal grey has served me well for graduation, a ball and work. Haven't had to get it out for any funerals thankfully! Might want to get a different colour given it's a wedding but can also brighten up the suit with a good shirt and tie. €300's plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Thanks for that. Anyone any recommendations on shops to go to in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

I think Topman do a great range of suits and in a good range of styles e.g. skinny fit, slim fit, normal fit etc. They also have a good range of colours. I'd recommend you go to their Grafton Street store, first floor.

Like the previous poster said, if you're buying your first suit you'll want to get one that's versatile. A black slim fitted suit comes to mind. Black might seem a little bit depressing for a wedding but you're hardly going to go in a bright red or pink suit either!

Also, whatever you do please remember to put some effort into buying a good pair of shoes, a nice tie and a nice fitted shirt as well. No matter how nice or expensive your suit looks it'll still be ruined by a baggy shirt or scruffy shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

compsys wrote: »
    Like the previous poster said if you're buying your first suit you'll want to get one that's versatile. A black slim fitted suit comes to mind. Black might seem a little bit depressing for a wedding but you're hardly going to go in a bright red or pink suit either!

Black versatile? Unless he's an undertaker that's terrible advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Black suits are currently fashionable and can be worn on most occasions. However when the trend has passed you will be left with a suit that is only suitable (heh) for funerals.

The same reasoning and more applies to slim fit suits. When you buy a suit you will be wearing it for years to come and you WILL change your body shape. Slim fit suits look really terrible when they don't fit properly and they are a bugger to get altered simply because the tailor dosen't have any material to use. Slimfits are loverly to have in your wardrobe of suits but you need to have 2 or 3 useable suits before you start buying fashionable/trend suits. Get a classic cut first.

Avoid shiney suits for a first suit. You are looking for something versatile. Charcoal grey is a good choice. If you are looking at wearing a suit for business further down the line then a blue/navy suit would be an investment. Both those colours would be fine for weddings.

Pick a jacket that fit you across the shoulders. The sleeves can be adjusted up or down (within reason) to fit if necessary. Allow for a little beergut expansion when getting the trousers. Spread comes to us all.
    You don't have to take the trousers that come with the suit. If they don't fit then ask the shop assistant for the right size to be taken from another suit. The suit is two (or three) seperate pieces not one item. :)
    If you can manage it then get two pairs of trousers as this will double the life span of your suit.
    Trousers can be altered in length too so get them too long rather then too short and get them altered. Your alterer should know about where the break of your trousers should be (how it sits on your shoe) or you can google it for yourself ("Ask Andy" is a good starting point for dressing well).
    Don't buy a suit and expect it to fit off the rail, budgit time and €50 to have it fitted for you. This will change a OK suit into something lovely.

Don't skimp on shirts. My golden rule if that if the shirt is measured in S, M or L or even 38", 40" etc., then don't touch it. Shirts should be bought by neck size. When the neck fits properly you'll be comfortable wearing ties. It's the collar that strangles you, not the tie.

There are lots of lovely suits out there for you to choose. Spend a day just wantering around the shops looking to see who carries what. Take your time, walk the shops, hunt out sales and don't buy the first one you try on.

Avoid designer labels - invest your cash in the suit rather then the label. Unless you are spending high end ($800+) they tend to be poor quality.

Don't let your suit down with poor accessories, buy new shoes too.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote: »
    Black versatile? Unless he's an undertaker that's terrible advice.

I've been to plenty of weddings and seen men in black suits. In fact, it's probably been the most common colour! I also work in financial services and the vast majority of guys wear black suits.

What colour would you have in mind?

A black suit coupled with a bright tie and maybe even a pink shirt (or at least a striped shirt) is not going to look like it belongs at a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I've been to plenty of weddings and seen men in black suits. In fact, it's probably been the most common colour! I also work in financial services and the vast majority of guys wear black suits.

1)What weddings do you go to?

2)What sector of the financial services are you working in? I can tell you I've seen about three or four people wearing black suits this year, a black pinstripe is slightly more common amongst those in their late 30's and up.

A well fitted navy or charcoal suit does the business for a first time suit in my opinion. You can worry about getting "fashionable" suits once you've built up a solid collection of four or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭dingbat

A black suit coupled with a bright tie and maybe even a pink shirt (or at least a striped shirt) is not going to look like it belongs at a funeral.
    The plain black suit has a place at funerals, weddings and at events starting after 6pm which involve the drinking of cocktails. Outside these it is a rarity except among the hipster set.

Between Ireland, London, Europe and America, in business or for "events" plain black suits are not common at all. The only place I've seen "the vast majority of guys" wearing black suits is in Tokyo.

With very few exceptions, mainly due to a person having somewhat extreme colouring in terms of skin or hair, solid navy and charcoal are definitely the first two suits one should buy. Debating this point is simply a waste of everybody's time - that might sound harsh but it really is true.

OldGoat's post in this thread is bang on the money and I would recommend that anybody who is buying their first or second suit would follow it closely.

Thanks for all the replies.

Right so my plan is to go into town at some stage and try loads of different shops and see what suits I like. I'll probably go for charcoal grey or navy and a nice white shirt or something. Any advice on what to look for in the shirt?

Also any recommendations on where to get the suit altered to fit as well as possible?

So are all the lads you see wearing black suits at the weddings and in the financial services conscious of what they are wearing it or just wearing a black suit because they think it's cool? I'd be inclined to believe the latter or maybe they read NME.

Black suit, bright tie or a pink shirt? Seriously, it sounds like something a 15 year old would wear.

• Advertisement

bassey wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

Right so my plan is to go into town at some stage and try loads of different shops and see what suits I like. I'll probably go for charcoal grey or navy and a nice white shirt or something. Any advice on what to look for in the shirt?

Also any recommendations on where to get the suit altered to fit as well as possible?
    http://www.halcyonmag.com/2011/05/26/halcyon-basics-a-shirt-that-fits/

Plenty of good alterations places in Dublin. Two that spring to mind are The Alteration Centre on Sth Anne St as well as Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Massimo Dutti, TM Lewin, TK Maxx and Kildare Village will have good suits well within your budget.

So are all the lads you see wearing black suits at the weddings and in the financial services conscious of what they are wearing it or just wearing a black suit because they think it's cool? I'd be inclined to believe the latter or maybe they read NME.

Black suit, bright tie or a pink shirt? Seriously, it sounds like something a 15 year old would wear.

Wow, I really wouldn't consider wearing a black suit 'cool'. Who knew I was so 'on the button' fashion wise with my choice of suit colour :rolleyes:

Strangely enough I didn't conduct research on why the guys I saw wearing black chose the colour but who knows... I might do next time lol!

In fairness though, at most events the jacket comes off pretty quickly and guys are just in black slacks and white shirts. But if you go into any shop one of the most common colour of trousers is black so to say people are only buying all these trousers and jackets for funerals I find hard to believe.

Black suit, bright tie or a pink shirt? Seriously, it sounds like something a 15 year old would wear.[/QUOTE]

Are you around this age? I'm thinking you're pretty young. This could easily be a difference in style/taste more to do with age than anything else.

On a side note I have a new dark navy suit and was wondering what colour shoes I should get for it? Any suggestions? Would you get away with black shoes? I also have another black!! suit so ideally it'd be great to get a pair that goes with both.

Wow, I really wouldn't consider wearing a black suit 'cool'. Who knew I was so 'on the button' fashion wise with my choice of suit colour :rolleyes:

Strangely enough I didn't conduct research on why the guys I saw wearing black chose the colour but who knows... I might do next time lol!
    Majority lads wearing b&w and shops mainly selling black slacks? Come on compsys your waffleing now, or maybe your just attending black tie events and shopping in said shop.
    Age/Taste has nothing to do with your suggestion its just sounds plain wrong or something you would see a on a topman window display.

Majority lads wearing b&w and shops mainly selling black slacks? Come on compsys your waffleing now, or maybe your just attending black tie events and shopping in said shop.
    Age/Taste has nothing to do with your suggestion its just sounds plain wrong or something you would see a on a topman window display.

I think a pair of black slacks and matching jacket should be a staple of any guy's wardrobe. You don't. So we disagree. Relax.

Fashion is subjective and highly individual. It's kinda arrogant of someone to claim there's a right or wrong or that they know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I think a pair of black slacks and matching jacket should be a staple of any guy's wardrobe.
    +1

You don't. So we disagree. Relax.
    If we all agreed all the time then the world would be a dull place. :)
    Fashion is subjective and highly individual.
    True enough.
    What has happened here in this thread is a clash between fashon and satorial style. For men fashion should take second place to style untill a larger (suit) wardrobe is built up. When we have a choice of things to wear then we can look at being more adventorous and daring - I love that - but for a first suit fashion should be avoided.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I think a pair of black slacks and matching jacket should be a staple of any guy's wardrobe. You don't. So we disagree. Relax.

Fashion is subjective and highly individual. It's kinda arrogant of someone to claim there's a right or wrong or that they know better.

Your putting words in my mouth now compsys, nowhere did i mention anything in regards to wardrobe staples, I said a black suit isn't versatile. A grey or navy suit is going to give you way more options starting off and that's common knowledge.

Im all for individuality and can appreciate all kinds of aesthetics if it's done well but if something just looks awful or plain wrong there's no arrogance to someone saying so. Some individuals can pull off some crazy pieces whilst on the majority it will just look rubbish, I'd rather someone tell me if something looks bad on me than say "ya it's great" just to please me. To believe that there are no wrongs or rights and that people out there that know better are arrogant is really silly. If i want an opinion on a look i'd rather get it from individuals that have an interest or experience in clothing than someone that hasn't. You see it as arrogance i see it as advice.

dingbat wrote: »
    http://www.halcyonmag.com/2011/05/26/halcyon-basics-a-shirt-that-fits/

Plenty of good alterations places in Dublin. Two that spring to mind are The Alteration Centre on Sth Anne St as well as Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow St.

That site is great, thanks a lot!

Your putting words in my mouth now compsys, nowhere did i mention anything in regards to wardrobe staples, I said a black suit isn't versatile. A grey or navy suit is going to give you way more options starting off and that's common knowledge.

Im all for individuality and can appreciate all kinds of aesthetics if it's done well but if something just looks awful or plain wrong there's no arrogance to someone saying so. Some individuals can pull off some crazy pieces whilst on the majority it will just look rubbish, I'd rather someone tell me if something looks bad on me than say "ya it's great" just to please me. To believe that there are no wrongs or rights and that people out there that know better are arrogant is really silly. If i want an opinion on a look i'd rather get it from individuals that have an interest or experience in clothing than someone that hasn't. You see it as arrogance i see it as advice.

Yes, a grey suit will probably give you more options starting off but I just wouldn't call a black suit a 'crazy piece' either which is what you seem to allude to or only for people who are trying hopelessly to look cool (or who want to go to a funeral).

I was at a christening today and the father of the child was in a black suit. He definitely didn't look like he belonged at a funeral (he also wore white shirt and light blue tie). Admittedly, he did look a little bit 'corporate' (and there was only two other guys in black) and I'd bet it was also a suit he wore to work but it didn't look crazy or silly IMO.

• Advertisement

call a black suit a 'crazy piece' either which is what you seem to allude to
    Huh? You've totally lost me now just forget about it.

Huh? You've totally lost me now just forget about it.

Read your original quote. You say: 'Some individuals can pull off some crazy pieces whilst on the majority it will just look rubbish'.

While you also said previously: 'So are all the lads you see wearing black suits at the weddings and in the financial services conscious of what they are wearing it or just wearing a black suit because they think it's cool?'

You do give the impression by what you've written that a black suit is some kind of big fashion statement that guys use to try and look 'cool'.

On a side note I have a new dark navy suit and was wondering what colour shoes I should get for it? Any suggestions? Would you get away with black shoes? I also have another black!! suit so ideally it'd be great to get a pair that goes with both.
    Simple answer: if you want a single pair of shoes that go with both, they will have to be black - wearing brown shoes with a black suit is just not done. Ever.

Simple answer: if you want a single pair of shoes that go with both, they will have to be black - wearing brown shoes with a black suit is just not done. Ever.

Yeah I guess you're right. Would brown shoes go better with a dark navy suit though as I'm thinking I might just buy two pairs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Unfortunately, it's done every day in Dublin in my experience :(

I agree though, go with black. A more versatile colour as shoes go because tan/brown/burgundy may be frowned upon for occasions other than weddings.

Yeah I guess you're right. Would brown shoes go better with a dark navy suit though as I'm thinking I might just buy two pairs now.
    Both black and brown shoes go perfectly well with a navy suit. However, if you'll be wearing formal shoes even semi-regularly then having a pair of each will work out far cheaper in the long run.

Shoes are worth investing in.

Advertisement