Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online photostorage and photosharing

Options
  • 20-06-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have looked into the different programs available for online photo storage and sharing and find it confusing. I thought I would list features that are important (to me) and would appreciate if the gurus on this forum consider how each program performs in each category along with any limitations.

The main programs I have seen are: Flickr, picasa, pix.ie and many others (photobucket, snapfish...)

I will list categories and perhaps any experts online could state how the programs perform (pros, cons and limits)

1. Photo upload speed and capacity
    2. storage capacity
    3. Can images be stored in a non-degraded fashion.
    4. Can images in public folders be degraded to prevent theft
    5. Can you make albums
    6. Can you print photos and album books
    7. Is video storage possibe
    8. Cost
    9. Can images and albums be moved simply, to add to e-mail or download on another computer
    Feel free to add to this list 10,11.e.t.c as I would love to gather as much info as possible.

Many thanks,
    Work
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont mean to be rude, but look it up, its not hard. People wont just go do you're research for you.

Also, they're all sites, not programs. Flickr is the most popular, probably for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

work wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have looked into the different programs available for online photo storage and sharing and find it confusing. I thought I would list features that are important (to me) and would appreciate if the gurus on this forum consider how each program performs in each category along with any limitations.

The main programs I have seen are: Flickr, picasa, pix.ie and many others (photobucket, snapfish...)

I will list categories and perhaps any experts online could state how the programs perform (pros, cons and limits)

1. Photo upload speed and capacity
    2. storage capacity
    3. Can images be stored in a non-degraded fashion.
    4. Can images in public folders be degraded to prevent theft
    5. Can you make albums
    6. Can you print photos and album books
    7. Is video storage possibe
    8. Cost
    9. Can images and albums be moved simply, to add to e-mail or download on another computer
    Feel free to add to this list 10,11.e.t.c as I would love to gather as much info as possible.

Many thanks,
    Work

no offence intended but from reading your post I translate this into:

I'm looking into creating a photo storage/sharing site but would like people to tell me what they consider important so I can make something that appeals to people interested in photography.

Can someone else tell me what they like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Dont mean to be rude, but look it up, its not hard. People wont just go do you're research for you.

Also, they're all sites, not programs. Flickr is the most popular, probably for a reason.

Thank you for taking the time for your "constructive" comment about research, I posted this after reading all related material on boards and looking up each site and review sites (approx 6 hours work). I struggled to get all the information and felt if I posted here considering the things i want then this would help me and anyone else into photostorage and photosharing.

I answer peoples queries all the time in fields I have knowledge, I do not feel that I should tell them to go do research as I know nothing about their background or ability.

So far my "research" is indeed pulling me toward flickr, would have preferred to use picasa but I have concerns regarding their upload speed, limited No of photos upload at a time and data reduction.

Also thanks for pointing out they are sites not programs. Though as already stated I am fairly lowbrow in this whole area so I am not sure what that means? are they not both?

In a recent post by you you ask, "how do I claim back what credits I'm due? I'm looking at form 12A here, but that appears to be for people on a payroll where as my work is sporadic". Would it not be fair to reply to you "Dont mean to be rude, but look it up, its not hard. People wont just go do you're research for you" but nobody did though I will point out to you that was a pretty low brow question! But hey why not ask a question you would like an answer to on an open forum? I certainly have no problem with that, you do not seem to either as long as it is you asking the question!

I do find the anonymity of the forum sometimes leaves people tempted to be a bit smug and unhelpful if they feel a question is below them, but that really disrespects the person answering the question, the person asking the question and the forum itself.

All the same thanks at least for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

PCPhoto wrote: »
    no offence intended but from reading your post I translate this into:

I'm looking into creating a photo storage/sharing site but would like people to tell me what they consider important so I can make something that appeals to people interested in photography.

Can someone else tell me what they like ?

If I wanted to do this why would I not just ask this? Anyway thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you would be surprised at the methods people use to get "market research" and the photo section of boards would be considered a decent target audience.

A reason not to ask directly is that there is a reluctance to help those who have a similar idea, there are at least 15 people I know of at the moment working on a "new" flickr or "new" pix.ie or the next big thing for image hosting - I was quoted approx €30K in 2008 to bring my concept to reality, something I just couldn't afford to develop.

I have my own ideas/concepts for website hosting/storage, I have accounts with online storage facilities such as flickr but I don't use them to their potential and don't visit them regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement