Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my big chief amarillo screwed?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Just made a brew today with the hop schedule of Big Chief Amarillo but I only used crystal malt(100 EBC). I realised afterwards that I was reading the farenheit scale on my thermometer when I steeped the crystal malt so I steeped it at 165 to 175F(think thats 74 to 79C) for 25mins. According to Palmer thats going to release tannins(??? or something bad tasting) into my brew? Is it likely to be pi$$ or does anyone know if its likely to be OK??
    Heres my brew notes:

15 litre target.
    start with 16.5 litre in boiler
    Amarillo 10.7%AA
    Chinook 13.6%AA
    2.3kg light DME

180g crystal malt 100EBC--steeped at 65 to 75deg for 25mins(actually 165 to 175F)

light dme added with boiler off and returned to boil

9g chinook -60mins

9g amarillo -20mins

9g amarillo -15mins
    1/2 tsp Irish moss-15mins

9g amarillo - 10mins

9g amarillo - 5mins
    9g chinook - 5mins

9g amarillo - flameout

stirred for max 1 minute then turned on Wort chiller

Pitched Safale US-05 at 22deg

og = 1.06

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Should be fine -- everyone makes these sorts of mistakes. The crystal is only a small part of the grain bill so any cock-ups with it will only have a minor effect on the brew, if any.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: f**k Palmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

BeerNut wrote: »
    Should be fine
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: f**k Palmer.

Thanks. I was hoping you'd say that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I wouldn't worry about it. I really don't think it will be noticable.
    As bn said, the crystal is only a small amount of the grain bill plus all the flavour nd aroma will be coming from those lovely hops!! Hops, while gorgeous, are also good at hiding off flavours.
    Looks tasty... keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Decoction mashes call for grains to be held at boiling. I also worried about releasing what I think palmer called "mouth puckering tannins". Horse s**t as far as i can make out, don't taste any off flavours in what is a very lighlty hopped beer

Advertisement