Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open university distance learning

Options
  • 20-06-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i am a secondary school teacher looking to get qualifications in an extra subject. i am currently enquiring to colleges as regards different courses in relation to part-time history courses. does anyone have any info on this? thanks! meant to say i am thinking of doing the required 5 modules in the undergraduate course in DCU by means of Oscail. th eteaching council says i only have to do 5 modules to be accepted by them as a history teacher.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

kkfan wrote: »
    i am a secondary school teacher looking to get qualifications in an extra subject. i am currently enquiring to colleges as regards different courses in relation to part-time history courses. does anyone have any info on this? thanks! meant to say i am thinking of doing the required 5 modules in the undergraduate course in DCU by means of Oscail. th eteaching council says i only have to do 5 modules to be accepted by them as a history teacher.

I think Oscail approach is the right one re subject content requirement for history - you dont need to do a whole degree, as the TC has advised you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

OP, did they specify WHICH five modules, or is it up to you?

I looked up the subject specific criteria for History previously, with the idea of adding a subject in mind and, knowing what sneaky pests the TC are, concluded that they'd probably not allow me to teach History by doing the oscail modules. I based this on the fact that the General Requirements state you must have a degree, studied over three years etc...I figured they'd probably use this as a way to disallow one from being registered with 'add-on' studies.... It's great if what they told you is the case....previous experience tells me their raison d'etre is to implement as many barriers to common sense and the user/service-friendliness conduct of their activities (in favour of sometimes ludicrous levels of unhelpful bureaucracy) as possible.

...I'd still get it in writing before forking out for those Oscail modules though! :D

Advertisement