Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking it down

Options
  • 20-06-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Was thinking about having a go at this, can someone make it simple for me. How much would it cost to produce 1 keg(88 pints)? Are they easy to make? How long does it take to make? And could it be sold in a pub?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Usually a homebrew is made with a much smaller size of the order of 19-23 Liters. If you start with one of the kits then it is surprisingly easy to make and with very good results if you follow the instructions. It normally takes about one week for the beer to ferment, after that you could bottle it after which it is normally advised to wait at least 4 week before drinking. I wouldn't even worry about selling it until you brewed and drank a few of your own brews.

It would cost less than €100 to make your first 23L brew as you would have to get some basic equipment and ingredients.

Its really great fun and highly recommended. :)

Edit: I didn't do this for the money, just as a fun hobby. Any savings are a bonus!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

can someone make it simple for me.
    This is about as simple as it gets.
    How much would it cost to produce 1 keg(88 pints)?
    It varies hugely, depending on methods used and the equipment you buy. For a beginner, buying the set-up gear and 2 kits (2 x ~25L), you could do it for as little as €60, but it's worth spending a bit more, getting decent gear and ingredients, and making better beer. €150 should be more than enough for a decent set-up and the first couple of kits. And you don't need to buy the gear again after you start, so you're looking at around €20 per batch after that. The more you invest in your system and your brewing skills, the less it costs per pint.

If you're just looking for a cheap and easy source of beer, however, you're better off buying it pre-made.
    Are they easy to make?
    Kits are pretty easy, but you do need to pay attention to what you're doing and be meticulous about hygiene. The instructions are often misleading too. Use this instead.
    How long does it take to make?
    It won't take more than an hour to make up a kit. Two weeks later there's another couple of hours to bottle, and two or three weeks after that it's ready for drinking.
    And could it be sold in a pub?
    Not without a brewer's licence, for which you need a commercial premises and all sorts of other red tape. So short answer: no -- you cannot sell or otherwise trade your homebrew.

Advertisement