Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Galway. Drive or train?

Options
  • 20-06-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey guys

I am hopefully moving to Galway in September for college (mon to fri). What is the safest way of getting there and back home? Car or train?

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DylanMannix

Well I'm in Killarney moving up in September and I heard that there's a private bus? Collegelink or something? =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tayto!

Citylink is the bus service!

http://www.citylink.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

aye, citylink is the way to go...as long as you book a few weeks in advance online, you can get €1 tickets each way to and from galway into cork city...it's not the express bus though, so if you don't mind having a longer trip, it's the cheapest way.

i don't even think there is a train from galway to cork...doesn't it only go as far as limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

I never even heard of Citylink. Thats fantastic! :) Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Definitely bus rather than train. Citylink is the job.
    Well I'm in Killarney moving up in September and I heard that there's a private bus? Collegelink or something? =]

There's one going from Dingle that passes through Tralee called Kennedy's Coaches, they're brilliant but might be a bit awkward from Killarney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

whiteman19 wrote: »
    i don't even think there is a train from galway to cork...doesn't it only go as far as limerick?

Have to get off in Limerick and get taxi/bus out to Limerick Junction to get on cork bound train.

The citylink bus takes over 3 hours and is painfully slow but if you don't have a car its the best option.

fergpie wrote: »
    Have to get off in Limerick and get taxi/bus out to Limerick Junction to get on cork bound train.

The citylink bus takes over 3 hours and is painfully slow but if you don't have a car its the best option.

3 hours is not painfully slow, in fairness. The same journey has taken me up to six hours on Bus Eireann in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Why do you need to get a taxi from Limerick to Limerick Junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Its about 30mins outside Limerick city

I know exactly where it is.
    I've played golf out there and been to the races there many a time:)

• Advertisement

OP as far as i know it is possible to get a train from Cork to Galway but i'd imagine it takes about 4 hours.
    You'd have to change trains at Limerick Junction to get another train into Limerick.
    Then change at Limerick to get the Galway train. The Galway train is alot slower than a car journey.

If you are driving yourself i'd estimate it to take around 2 and a half hours using the tunnel in Limerick.
    The tunnel is well worth the 1.80 IMO as you'd probably use 1.80 in fuel the long way round.

Why not get the train out to Limerick Junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

Whats Gort na Coirbhe like to live do ye know?

scabo33 wrote: »
    I live outside the city so I'm not sure but i have heard negative things about it.
    May i suggest you ask in the Galway City forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=475

There's a dedicated NUIG Accommodation thread, it's the first one at the top of the page in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

You need Kennedy coaches. It picks up at the cathedral on a friday at 4.30pm and goes all the way to killarney, picks you up in Killarney on a sunday afternoon. Great service here's the site: www.kennedycoaches.com click on services. It serves west limerick onwards to Killarney. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Gort na Coiribe is the nicest for student accommodation and its very near, they are all quite expensive. Gort could be booked out, so you should get on the ball about that if you want student accomodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DylanMannix

You need Kennedy coaches. It picks up at the cathedral on a friday at 4.30pm and goes all the way to killarney, picks you up in Killarney on a sunday afternoon. Great service here's the site: www.kennedycoaches.com click on services. It serves west limerick onwards to Killarney.

Wow! Thank you so much!

Advertisement